The Great Gatsby

A place where you can review Films.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Neesh5
GRAMMY Award

The Great Gatsby

Post by Neesh5 »

Anyone here seen this yet?

I haven't yet, hoping to, but heard from people that it is really good and very VISUAL :D read the book for AS level, but wonder how it went in the big screen :)
LivingTheDream
BRIT Award

Re: The Great Gatsby

Post by LivingTheDream »

Beautifully shot and acted- the production value was immense and it shows, and the stars lived up to their statuses and gave outstanding performances. But Baz Luhrmann has only translated the very basics of the book onto the big screen. The main focus of the film is on the tangles of the relationship between Daisy (the British Carey Mulligan) and Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), with Nick (Tobey Maguire) narrating. The underlying themes and social commentary found in the book are scarcely referenced to, and fleetingly so if they are at all. So I don't think that it will help you with your AS all that much, apart from familiarising you with the plot. But it really is an incredible film, so go and watch it purely for the acting and the production value if nothing else!
Neesh5
GRAMMY Award

Post by Neesh5 »

Finished my AS exams two weeks back, so I can just enjoy watching for fun! :) the trailers and music look good so it'll be nice to see it, and whether I can pick up on any quotations from the book in the film! :)
Neesh5
GRAMMY Award

Post by Neesh5 »

FINALLY saw this today :D personally I found it perfect! Everything that held this film- the cast, the crew, the cinematography, the sets, and the music Was incredible.
Got a bit teary towards the end - but that's just me! Highly reccomend this for a drama film :)