small potatoes

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Re: small potatoes

Post by igloobabe »

I can sympathise with mummyofmany as the same thing happened to us, and it was really galling as we'd sat and listened to three others doing both, and then my dd only got to do 'Seasons'. She had practiced the rap with four different voices which were really good, and then she didn't get to do it! Her singing was just as good as the others. Unfortunately she did feel like she'd blown it and was upset, it seems very mean to treat kids like that. I could understand if she was flat or forgot the words but she sounded great. The thing that annoyed me was that when she came out so quickly, I asked her, 'aren't you doing the rap?' and the girl in charge said, 'No, it's one or the other!' The other mums all looked at me like they knew she was lying.
On top of that we had a horrendous train journey home due to signal failure, a 50 minute trip took 2 hours. :(
mummyofmany
BRIT Award

Post by mummyofmany »

how hard would it have been to listen to both songs, it would have taken what - 3 extra minutes?

casting directors can be really insensitive.

fortunately my ds didnt hear anyone elses auditions he went in as soon as we arrived and was done before i had even finished filling in the form. as she reached for the clipboard and said thank you i couldnt help but think there was very little point in bothering to give her the form at all, but did obviously so as not to be petty!! maybe our kids were so good they knew instantly they wanted them back and didnt need to hear the second song!! :)
Mummy to an aspiring actor
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

One of the other mums said that to me, actually! Oh well, we shall know in an hour and twenty mins!
Luckymum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Luckymum »

fingers crossed [-o< [-o< [-o<
Winners never quit and quiters never win xxx

Be Lucky ;-)
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Just out of interest, how many of you got your audition through agents and how many through Starnow/similar?
mummyofmany
BRIT Award

Post by mummyofmany »

We saw it on starnow, but that's what irks me. I wasn't going to have ds audition for this but they actually contacted us directly and asked him to audition and then invited him along after hearing his phone message. And then after all that only let him sing one of the songs when he had worked really hard on both.
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

GRRR! Exactly the same here! I showed it to my dd, she wasn't mad keen at first, then we had this message,

'****** has a great voice. I wonder, if she were chosen for the series, would you be able to handle the weekly or bi-weekly commute to London for recordings? They would be 10 sessions between May and September.'

So I persuaded her to have a go!

Maybe they only like people who go through agents? But as you say, why contact us at all if the voice didn't fit?
jojo_b
BRIT Award

Post by jojo_b »

DS doesn't have an agent but those who had were the ones who got to sing both songs. I wouldn't mind but his favourite of the two sings was the rap.

Good luck to all waiting to hear
mummyofmany
BRIT Award

Post by mummyofmany »

we got a thanks but no thanks, but at least they bothered to respond.
jojo_b
BRIT Award

Post by jojo_b »

Same here. It'll be interesting to see the type of voices they were looking for when it comes out.

Has anyone got a recall?
sullyandmike
GRAMMY Award

Post by sullyandmike »

We've not even got a call nevr mind a recall!!!
Take care

Sully x
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

No, we got the same email. I have replied saying that since their brief stated
'Please have your child prepare the attached 2 songs for the audition. We'd like them to sing both songs all the way through'
it was not fair to allow some and not others to sing both, especially as we had all made the effort to do the journey.

It sounds as if their term 'not quite right for this preschool series' might translate to 'not quite well represented enough'!
Anyone else heard?
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

sullyandmike wrote:We've not even got a call nevr mind a recall!!!
YOu might have got it then, if the rest of us are only just getting our No thanks's!! :D
claret
GRAMMY Award

Post by claret »

Hi all, just got back as we decided to go for a walk along the river and have a civilised cocktail before driving home - therefore not a complete waste of time as dh and other 2 dc went round the Design Museum. DD did get to sing both songs,but I don't think that means anything as we haven't had a call yet and now past 8pm. She was also told she had a lovely singing voice. But I don't think this is the point, from what I heard a lot of dc had lovely singing voices but maybe they want something younger and cheekier....just a guess. As I said on an earlier post this has been around for a while. My dd's ballet school,.... (I know an unlikely pool for singers!!) had 6 selected out of several to record; only 1 got a licence, but didn't stay longer than 10mins so obviously it didn't work out. My dd wasn't involved at this point as she was on tour at the time. :lol: I thought this had already passed and was very surprised to see this again on Starnow. She did the phone audition and was asked to come today like many of us. She was also asked through her ballet school. Oddly the original 6 weren't invited back, but some of the ones that weren't selected last time were there today. Go figure!! Love to hear anyone with good news. Lovely to meet you Sullyandmike, I hope it went well for you.
HOPE
BRIT Award

Post by HOPE »

Hope it is good news for one of the NAPMers :D
Last edited by HOPE on Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.