Just New and got a lot of questions....

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

NorthernLass
Nominee

Just New and got a lot of questions....

Post by NorthernLass »

This board is great and got lots of excellent advice on and Im pleased I've found it, my first question is if my DS gets any audition what is expected of him? he's nearly 5. I've also got an appointment with a Agency, to see if they will accept him on there books for acting & extra work what are they expecting ? anything I can prepare first?. I will stop now as my brain is running away with me ...with what if's...... \:D/
nancyboo

Re: Just New and got a lot of questions....

Post by nancyboo »

At this age obviously it is less than what's expected of the older ones. In audition it may be that they will have a little talk to the child, see how they get on, they may ask the child to do a few things, such as pull faces, so they can see if they can be easily directed, they may talk about the script a little, as if it weren't a script and get the childs view on the role, situation, story and they may ask them to act out a scene from the script - any and all of these are possible, they all have their own ways and ideas of doing things. As for the Agent, they may do any of these things - it may be that they will have a little talk to the child, see how they get on, they may ask the child to do a few things, such as pull faces, so they can see if they can be easily directed, they may expect something to be performed, a short monologue and at this age, this can take the form of a childrens poem - any and all of these are possible.
Luckymum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Luckymum »

Hi northernlass and welcome to the site :D Nancyboo has answered your question perfectly but just wondering if the agency for extras is in Newcastle, if so that's exactly what they did with my dd a few years ago and she has just been working with them for Inspector George Gently and they are very good :D
Winners never quit and quiters never win xxx

Be Lucky ;-)
NorthernLass
Nominee

Post by NorthernLass »

thanks for your answers, yes it's in Newcastle. Good advice, phew relief if they just chat and ask for a few pulled faces or act out a scene..that I can cope with !! the word Monologue struck terror in me and I started to get second thoughts.

I was just feeling a bit daunted by the whole thing, a friend recommended them and suggested I contact them as my little one has done a few student films but nothing "properly-If you know what I mean"....feel a bit happier now, after finding this site too and it give's me a bit more of an insight into performing children world. I feel a bit embarrassed mentioning it to any of "normal" mum friends as they do seem a bit judgemental when Ive let my DS do some student films...??
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

Yes, well that does happen. Ive had the same issues myself in the past. But really it's people talking about things they know absolutely nothing about and you should ignore them. The 'monologue' is simply a short well known piece from a popular play. They publish many books and websites on the subject, so when it comes to it, you'll easily find one, or ask here, as others do, but at this age, when they say 'monolgue', they generally mean a short poem, a childrens poem, which will show them the child has the ability to learn and remember lines and perhaps show some emotion and understanding of what they're saying, though not necessarily. Don't worry, it'll be fine and you have come to the right place.