How many auditions with an agent?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

How many auditions with an agent?

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if people could tell me how many auditions per month or whatever they get with their agent? I'm 17 and I got an agent a few months ago, but I'm getting a seriously low level of oppurtunities. I know that 17 is a tricky age because you're not an adult yet and really too old looking to be a child, but I would still have expected a few more auditions than I have had so far. My agent said that she didn't want to put me up for anything until I came out in Spotlight which is understandable, but my page came out in February and since then I've only had one audition. Does that sound like a normal number to have had?

I don't know whether I'm expcting too much, because I don't know anyone else who has an agent so it's pretty hard to compare. If you could help me see if it's normal or not then I'd really appreciate it. Thanks very much!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: How many auditions with an agent?

Post by sapphire »

DD who is 16 has been with an agent since January - had some work on Waterloo Road and one casting since then. I also think that isn't very much but I really have no idea what to expect either as this is all new to us too ](*,)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think this depends very much on what kind of look you have, what kind of skills you have, what sort of work you are looking for and what kind of position your agent holds within the profession.

It probably won't be very helpful trying to compare your experience with other actors. It may well be that your agent is submitting you very frequently for roles but that you are not being called in for castings. If you are concerned, it would be worth having a conversation with your agent. Try tackling it by asking what you can do to improve your chances of being called in. Your agent may well be working very hard on your behalf. It is not normally possible for agents to insist that their clients are seen for a particular job - though if they have a particularly good rapport with a casting director then you are more likely to be called in for a role (as long as you fit the casting brief).

Are you still at school? If so, this will certainly influence how many opportunities you have because you are probably not available for small scale theare tours and other jobs with long time commitments or where you would need to relocate.

Unless you are a very young looking 17 year old, you are probably starting to join the really crowded bit of the market place and this will also have an effect on how many times you get called for a casting.

It's not particularly unusual to go a few months between casting opportunities. Adult actors spend a lot of time looking for their own opportunities, even when they have an agent. An agent really comes into his/her own at the point when you are offered the job: dealing with pay/contracts etc.
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Yeah, I knew that most actors get their own work, but it's quite hard for me because I'm not an adult and don't have any contacts in the business, so I basically get all of my information on castings from here and ScreenTerrier!

But thanks, it's good to know that it's not just me. Hopefully some more wll come up soon!