Help reading a script. What is expected

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Valerie
Nominee

Help reading a script. What is expected

Post by Valerie »

Hello everyone, Im a lurker and now decided to join in. So big hello. 8-[

My DD, has a casting coming up and she is 4, she has been given a script to learn the bit's she is being put forward for. As she can't read yet, we will be learning it just by practicing, when she goes in to casting will the other older children be in there also reading bits of script and should she be able to say her "pieces" at the required time. ? not sure she can manage that :? We haven't started to learn it yet, what is the best way to practice? What should I expect?

Also there is a word in script that I'm not keen on, got a feeling she may repeat it at toddler group..out of context. :oops: what a dilema.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Re: Help reading a script. What is expected

Post by nextinline »

Hi Valerie, most of us were lurkers I suspect before joining up. This site has a way of drawing you in :D Your dd is only small so I can understand you worrying about her repeating words elsewhere. I would just practise as you are and see how she goes when the time comes. The casting director will know that she is only 4 and shouldn't expect her to be anything other than that. As you are new to this just follow your gut instinct on things as us Mums usually know what is right for our own children. I once withdrew my ds from a casting when I thought it wasn't right for him.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Hi Valerie

I totally agree with nextinline, you do what feels right for you and your dd - if you are really unhappy about a word maybe leave it out until you know she has the part - lol. When we started out my ds couldn't read - he was 4 too, and had a really complicated script - we just read it a few times a day when he felt like it, we would just do as much as he felt like - and I read the bit before just so he had an idea where to come in, but she will be prompted. For my ds the cd or assistant has read the other parts and they are always aware and sympathetic to his age.

Lots of luck with it - they do have amazing memories at that age - I guess that is a skill we lose once we learn to read as we don't have to just remember!

x
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Valerie thanks for posting this, my DS2 is also going to the casting and I am hoping he didnt pick up to much on the "word", tho he only has to listen not say it. He is also 4 so the replies that have been posted are very useful as I think he will need a few prompts as he is reading for the 8 year old part so has nearly 3 times as many lines to learn as his 12 year old brother whose going for the 11 yo role... Good Luck and enjoy and thankyou everyone for the replies, NAPM is so helpful :D
Valerie
Nominee

Post by Valerie »

Panda.

I've read the script again and just saw the 8 year olds bit, that is a bit of a challenge for a 4 year old too. Good luck for you too.Im in on tuesday, as you know the "Word" Im just thinking to go with it and see how it all comes off. It's impossible to predict a 4 year olds mood at the precise moment needed so just got to hope for the best. fingers rossed. Val
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

I actually sent the script in to his nursery teacher so she could understand why he was saying anything if he did :D I found the best way to learn was for me to tell him it initially as a story..... so and so said bla bla and so and so replied bla bla.... he has surprised me today as he seems to know the whole script APART from his own lines :oops: so I think that has come from me not saying them enough (ie expecting he knows them) but he hears me reading all the other people lines. Lesson Learnt! We are just going to go and enjoy, if they are dealing with so many young children they must have a sense of humour :mrgreen: Ours is 3.30 what time is yours? (I will have 2 kids with me, little one ginger haired, say Hi if we cross paths). Good Luck to your DD, would be nice if they all got parts =D>
steggers
BRIT Award

Post by steggers »

Hi there, I think my DS went to the same audition today, was it in Leeds?
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Yes thats the one :D We were there from about 3.15 and the kids went in bang on time at 3.40. Did we cross paths?? How old is your ds?

Valerie how did your little DD do?
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Oops sorry - that was a bit large and bright :oops:
steggers
BRIT Award

Post by steggers »

Hi, my DS is 10 years old, he was reading for the part of Ellis. My husband was with him and they were sitting in the furthest room on the corner of the red sofa. My DS was wearing a checked shirt and hubby has longish dark hair and a suntan lol! DS went in for his audition at around 3.20pm. Were you given any idea when they might be doing callbacks? We are new to all this and the waiting is sooooo hard lol!!
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

I saw them :D , they were sat on the sofa opposite us :D They went in with the other kids in the corner, I think I asked your DH what time his appt was. They were the second group in I think and we were the 4th. I was sat opposite with my dark haired elder son who was also reading for Ellis and my younger son reading for Bobbie.

Apparently they are hoping not to have to do recalls and will be making decisions quite soon. Filming starts in 3 weeks tho not sure when the children would be required.

Which agency are you with?
steggers
BRIT Award

Post by steggers »

Hi, DH saw you too, its such a small world is n't it! Hopefully we won't have to wait long for a decision, it would be wonderful if both yours were cast! We are with Kelly Management in London and they have been fab! I think the only problem we may have is my DS has a Northern accent which is n't noticeable here, but when we go to London, I keep expecting someone to ask him where his whippet is lol!!
Valerie
Nominee

Post by Valerie »

Hi all,

Disaster I think ?? she had a bit of a mood and was tired and grumpy by the time we found the place, also was a late appointment 4.20, did pass a red haired boy on the stairway with a dad? Also 2 blonde girls in white and a mum came out as I was going in.

I walked past the place a few times and missed the doorway :x ended up asking in the newsagents. Tried to have a practice on train on way up, by which time got to Leeds I think she got the hang of it, had to be quiet with the certain bit as the train was a bit busy. :lol: So just wait and see [-o< At least I know she said something cause she said she had to say "are you a farmer? a few times?"
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

I wouldnt worry Valerie, DS1 said the producer stood behind the little girl in our group and read the lines to her so she could say them, so if your DD managed anything by herself that is good :D I dont think it was us you saw as we were gone by 3.55 but just before we went a man came in with an older ginger haired boy (about 8/9) so that would be them.

Steggers good luck, it is a shame with Ellis he only had a couple of lines if he is such a good little actor as it didnt really give him chance to shine. Fingers crossed they want all 3 of our boys. My DS is 12 so enough of an age gap between them :D The lady CD was the BBC's top casting director so even if its a No for our DS's this time to have been seen by her is really good, esp when they move the BBC programme making to Manchester next year and will need more Northern based kids. :mrgreen:
steggers
BRIT Award

Post by steggers »

Hi Panda, it was a shame Ellis only had the three lines, I can't figure out how they could judge a performance based on that, maybe they have a picture in their minds of the child they are looking for. My DS said they laughed when he asked the question with 'that word' in it, which is something positive to take away with him....he may not get the part but at least he made them laugh!!! I did n't realise the BBC was moving production to Manchester, that has to be good news for us Northerners!