All new to me ..

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Sunshine Sally
Nominee

All new to me ..

Post by Sunshine Sally »

My seven year old has been attending a dance drama class for the past eighteen months, but I never dreamed that anything would come of it. He's very confident and silly and I thought it may channel him a little (!) plus a few kids go from his class as it is run by one of the other mums and I know they have lots of fun and all really love going (as does he).

Anyway - got a letter home to say Emmerdale were looking for a boy and if I was interested to send a photo, etc. Thought nothing of it - have never done anything like that myself and it's a whole other world to me. He said he wanted to do it when he gave me the letter but I almost disregarded it. Then thought about it and decided it might be fun to do - a new experience for me as well as him, sent the photo and before I know it we have an audition on Thursday with some lines to learn!

Now I am slightly freaking out as I have no idea about these things! The only auditions I have seen are the ones where three thousand children are queing around the block for some part in a musical. If anybody can give me some idea what to expect I would be grateful!

x
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: All new to me ..

Post by missmoneypenny »

How exciting! It sounds like your little boy will manage it just fine - it will be fairly informal I would imagine, just read through the lines with him when he feels like it - my ds is 7 too and when we have a script we just pick it up and do a bit several times through the day, to avoid him getting bored by it - it usually sinks in. The audition will most likely be him going into a room with the casting director - and maybe an assistant or two, and they will chat to him and go through the lines - often they will film this process and will probs do it a few times. I don't tend to go in with him - a) because I am usually not invited to, and b) because I know my kids audition better when I am not in the rooom lol. We haven't done an Emmerdale auditon, so may be slightly different, but we have done Eastenders audition and was pretty much as above.

Lots of luck to him - hope he has fun and bags the part x
flower79
Nominee

Post by flower79 »

hi im new to all this to well done to your son and good luck do you have any information on this emmerdale audition and whats the age limit my sons 11 but looks about 9 x
It's Showtime
BRIT Award

Post by It's Showtime »

Hi ..just to mirror what Miss MP has said (great advice) ... enjoy it, let him be himself, good luck & let us know how he gets on... :D
Bad Hair Day Anyone?
**It's Showtime Folks!**
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Hi

My ds1 auditioned for the part of Will Wylde in Emmerdale, it was at the YTV hq in Leeds (not sure if it is there now)? Anyway, very strict on security, parents not allowed past the general front desk, they took the kids through in 3's to a room then on by themselves to read thru the script with the casting director which they filmed a couple of times. Of course it could all be different, but that was our experience.

Good luck to your little DS :D
Ashleighf68
Nominee

Post by Ashleighf68 »

Just wondering how you think the letter came about??
My daughters friend got a similar letter, but she didnt know where it came from, and she went to the audition with him.
She said it was fine - and noone seemed to be particularly scared. Have a great casting, and GOOD LUCK!!!
Any advice on agents aswell??
Love ashleighf68
Sunshine Sally
Nominee

Post by Sunshine Sally »

Thanks all for the advice. It's helpful to know what to expect! Will let you know what it's like.

Ashleighf - I think the person who runs the drama is approached when children are needed. I've had letters home before about a couple of adverts, but they have been during school time so haven't bothered.
x