Street Castings

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Street Castings

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Hi,
So, I was in Central London yesterday just walking down Southbank, and this woman came up to my sister and I and asked if we wanted to come to a casting for an advert that they would be casting for next weekend. I know that generally, reputable casting agents don't cast on the street, so we just said no thanks and walked away before we got sucked into a long conversation. But I was just wondering, do you guys think that any of these people can be trusted? Because I know that people like Skins and lots of other soaps have said that anyone casting for their shows on the street are not affiliated with them and it is a scam, but are there some people who genuinely do cast on the streets? Just wondering what you guys think, and if perhaps you or anyone you know has been successfully cast for something this way?
Would be interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!
sXOX
GRAMMY Award

Re: Street Castings

Post by sXOX »

Although I personally wouldn't trust anyone who came up to me on the street, I don't think it's unheard of to be spotted, as quite a few celebrities and models have admitted to of had their careers started by being scouted. My advice would that if you get approached again, to do not say a definite yes or no, but ask to see their details (for example their name, and their casting agency, and contact details etc) and say that you will get back to them. Then when you get home check out their details on the internet, or ask around to see whether they seem genuine. If you then decide to contact them and arrange a casting, make sure you take an adult with you!
Hope this helps! x
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Yeah. You're right, that's probably what I should have done. But to be honest, she seemed to have a lot of names on her list and I was wearing no make-up or anything so I can't imagine what she can have seen in me. And the fact that she asked me and my sister shows that I wasn't really 'spotted', she was probably just looking for any teenagers.
But thanks for the advice, I'll definitely remember to do that if it happens again!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Street "casting" does happen for commercials sometimes. It doesn't mean you will be cast, as you might guess! You might be asked to turn up at a casting suite, along with dozens or (more likely) hundreds of others and then be considered for a commercial by a genuine casting agency/director. This could mean waiting around for hours just to have a photo taken. You are absolutely right to be circumspect though because there are also many scams that operate along the same lines. One thing is certain: you should never, under any circumstances, be asked to pay for anything at all. If you are asked for money then it's a scam.

I would be surprised if this particular approach was genuine though. I doubt that a genuine CD would do street casting for teenagers.

It is also quite likely that "street casting" will be paid at a lower rate than a casting that goes through agents, so if you have an agent you should always let them know about any such approach (because if you were lucky enough to get the job they would almost certainly get a better deal for you).

Good advice from sXOX to get all the contact details and check them independently before committing yourself.