help new here

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

anniefoss
Nominee

help new here

Post by anniefoss »

I posted this (I think) on wrong forum sorry.....

My son is 9 and has difficulities with reading. He is going for a casting workshop on Monday and I am concerned they will ask him to read. He isn't bothered and will tell them he struggles. He was taken on by a top agent recently and learns his lines by either listening or paired reading (the same for reading at school). He is also doing a reading on the phone tomorrow for a voice over series. Should I tell the directors his difficulites? I don't want to ruin his cahnces of getting a part. Sorry, I am new to all this. :roll:
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: help new here

Post by pg »

Hello there and welcome to NAPM.

I would definitely advise that you let the Casting Director/Director know about his difficulties, or better still, ensure that the agent does so, explaining that he is very well able to learn lines but that he will struggle with "cold reading". It's really important that your agent is on your side with this (they should be!) and that they do their bit to smooth your son's path.

I know a few adult actors who struggle with cold reading. If the Casting Director/Director is interested in the actor, they will normally do their best to accommodate someone's needs.
anniefoss
Nominee

Post by anniefoss »

Oh thank you so much! He had his phone audition and been asked to recording casting Monday. I explained everything on phone and she was really nice about it. I am new to all this stuff but my son takes it in his stride...Thanks once again
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

You will find pg the wisest person on here ;) ;)

She always talks sense and is very knowledeable. Most of us have profited from her advice at some time or another :)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

Yep, I would definately second that.. =D> =D> =D> Pg you could have your own problem page !
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

I always say Susan Hampshire was dyslexic and it didn't stop her! I know she had many strategies for getting round her reading problems.But it is definitely worth telling them in advance so that they could email you a copy of scripts early so he can learn them ahead, etc.
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

Hi and welcome to NAPM.. almost everyone posts in the wrong place at first so don't worry..(it's easy enough for me to remove it) Good luck with everythng :D
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

Hi there

I have sent you a pm.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

How did ds get off in the workshop ? Hope it all went well. :D