BAFTA Award

Re: An Odd Day Out Feature film

Post by missmoneypenny »

That's brilliant - will pm you irishdancer x
db1
GRAMMY Award

Post by db1 »

It's still on Star Now at the moment, I reported it to them also.

It's been removed now
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Morning All - Just got a PM from PG about this........

OK here is what to do --- anyone who has information please contact CEOP and open an investigation with them - specifically quoting any email correspondance with these people. You can do this via their web page ...its quite easy.I would also state in the CEOP correspondance the fact that this is the secoond time this "company" have been reported for the same kind of thing and the matter was investigated by Lothian and Borders Police but it appears the originators came from out the UK so no further action could be taken.

I would also contact the email address given by Starnow and inform them in no uncertain terms that you are reporting the matter to CEOP and actually they DO have some responsibility liability over the ads contained on their website and urge them to refer the matter to the authorirties as the matter has been invetigated before. Starnow should have the originators email and IP address.

Any questions please let me know
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Thanks for the advise dogcop. I did make a report with CEOP yesterday, although found the process quite confusing!! I have had 2 emails from Starnow - one saying the had pulled the ad and another saying they had banned the member and advise that parents should never send unclothed images to anyone.

I really hope this is the last we hear of this, but they are scarily persistant :(
sammyjo
Nominee

Post by sammyjo »

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, but have an 11 year old daughter who is on star now. I got the email from these people asking her to audition. I immediatley contacted star now and my local police who are looking into it for me and I will post any information I get back. This is a brilliant forum, and I look forward to being a part of it.
SLSVGG
Nominee

Post by SLSVGG »

Hi,

This website is really helpful, please can you guys help me, I have contacted the CEOP, I applied for this audition through cartertalent.tk but don't worry I didn't send any nude pictures I only sent headshots, but what worries me is that I emailed them my resume which has my phone number and address on, and I have a great fear of them trying to contact me directly, I know it is illegal for nude pictures of children, which is when I started to notice something dodgy going on, but by that time I had already emailed them my resume. Please Helps guys (by the way I am only 15, so this isn't very comforting for me)
SLSVGG
Nominee

Post by SLSVGG »

Also because the email address for this carter talent ends in '.tk' it means i can not block them from my email as they do not hae a .com or .co.uk domain
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi there SLSVGG

I can understand that this is worrying for you but you have done the right thing in contacting the CEOP. I would recommend that you talk to your parents about it if you haven't already done so, I'm sure they will be able to reassure you and they can also take any steps they want to report this themselves. You could perhaps show them this thread on NAPM?

As long as you ignore all contacts from the company (you could just move them to a separate folder without opening them and without deleting them if you/your parents want to keep evidence of any contact) then I don't think you need worry.

My own view is that they are very unlikely to make any direct contact or to make any use of your details (though I think you should make sure your parents know that they have been sent). I am fairly sure that the last thing these people want is any direct contact with anyone - they want to be able to collect images without anyone being able to find out where they are.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

And welcome to the forum to you and Sammyjo! :D
SLSVGG
Nominee

Post by SLSVGG »

Thank you very much for your help pg, I ahve told my elder sibling, and let my mum know now, thanks for your help, yes i Have also emailed my local police to see if they can track where this paedophile is, I hope he is outside of the UK like someone said on one of the earlier comments.
cookycrew
GRAMMY Award

Post by cookycrew »

I too had applied for this for dd before realising it was the same seedy people. I have complained to Starnow & received the standard reply & also the following. I feel that they haven't done enough about this bearing in mind this is the third time these people have managed to place an advert. Here is Starnows reply -

Quote -
''Thanks for getting in touch.

We verify the legitimacy of all of our ads as we see fit to ensure the safety of our members who apply. This is due to member feedback.

We take the safety and wellbeing of our members very seriously, so therefore we must verify that we are putting them in contact with someone working for a reputable casting agent or agency. As we have hundreds of casting calls some do slip through the cracks. However we do take action as soon as someone like the person that contacted you is found. We banned this member immediately and advised all members who this advertiser had contacted warning them against replying to them.

We understand that all minor listings must be checked more rigorously and endeavour to put some extra safety precautions in place to stop this type of thing happening in the future.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,
Jen

StarNow.com''

I have replied to them asking how they verified/identified the advertiser & have they passed this information on to the police? In order to email a minor who is on starnow, the person wishing to send the email has to send off id to Starnow, or so I thought. I do feel that they are simply saying 'whoops another one slipped through' which I find totally unacceptable. I have suggested that they need to give updates at least to all of the members that have applied for the casting, on what action they are taking A) To stop similar issues happening again in the future B) what is happening to the people who placed the advert ie police action etc. They need to re-gain our trust, I am seriously considering not renewing dd's membership.

RANT OVER! :D
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Not good enough is it?

As far as I can see, someone wanting to post an advertisement for a job only has to provide Starnow with an email address. If this is true then there is absolutely nothing to stop the same unsavoury person using Starnow again just by giving a different name and a different email address.

Since many of the jobs on Starnow are unpaid, I think it will be very rare for the castings/auditions to be posted/organised by a "reputable casting agent or agency" ! (I don't mean that unpaid jobs are all bogus, just that, by their very nature, they won't normally be organised by an established/reputable Casting Director).
cookycrew
GRAMMY Award

Post by cookycrew »

Further to my earlier posting, I emailed Starnow again with my dissatisfaction at their response & I have just received this response from them -

'Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes I can confirm that we have absolutely contacted the police about this member, we have passed on a report with full information of this person, and they are looking into this as we speak.

We have contacted people advising that this person had been removed from the site. Any serious complaint we received is passed on to the police immediately, especially if it is one that involves minors.

I hope that clears things up. Please get back in touch if you need more information or if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Jen

StarNow.com'

Lets hope something happens as a result of this!