What's the longest you have waited at a casting?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mpesm
BRIT Award

What's the longest you have waited at a casting?

Post by Mpesm »

My ds had one on Thursday and it was nearly 2hours before he was seen. He wasn't feeling too good too and I wish now I had gone as I don't think he has a hope in hell
of getting it anyway ( trying to match up families).

I just wondered if any of you would have stuck it out or left?
meadow3
BRIT Award

Re: What's the longest you have waited at a casting?

Post by meadow3 »

Was it Ford by any chance??
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

bizzylizi wrote:Was it Ford by any chance??
Haha, you were obviously there too then?!
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Sorry you had such a horribly long wait, and hope your DS is feeling better now.

Unfortunately, this does sometimes happen. We've had very long waits for castings before now. I think the longest was just over 3 hours!!!

I really hope something good comes out of it for your DS so it was worth it!
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

Fruitcake wrote:Sorry you had such a horribly long wait, and hope your DS is feeling better now.

Unfortunately, this does sometimes happen. We've had very long waits for castings before now. I think the longest was just over 3 hours!!!

I really hope something good comes out of it for your DS so it was worth it!
Hey fruitcake, thank you. He is feeling much better now thanks and not really bothered either way. I suppose I was feeling a bit guilty about taking him but didn't want to let the agency down.

Three hours is a very long wait!
MILLET
BRIT Award

Post by MILLET »

Over 4 hrs for a certain casting director who seemed to take great pleasure in having 600 children queueing outside his studios. Went to Westgate for a coffee, did some window shopping and returned and still children hadn't missed their turn.
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

I went to the open audition for the part of Lyra in 'The Golden Compass' when I was 13, and we were waiting outside, in the pouring rain, for 5 hours. I mean, I know it's an open audition for a big film, so obviously there were a lot of children, but leaving thousands of 9-13 year old girls standing in the rain seems to me to be child abuse! Especially when the actual audition only lasted 3 minutes!
xebonykissesx
GRAMMY Award

Post by xebonykissesx »

Try the Harry potter ones for Luna lovegood, seven hours!! to be seen for two minutes ;) ha!
But i'm assuming this was a closed audition? So to wait about 2 to 3 hours does seem pretty ridiculous.
Still, at least your ds went and fingers crossed anyway. :)
*The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Stand your ground for freedom, beauty, truth, and love.* - Moulin Rouge
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

bizzylizi wrote:
Was it Ford by any chance??
Haha, you were obviously there too then?!
Us too - I think apart from the fact they were running really late with the adults, the problem was compounded by all the kids turning up at the beginning of the session - regardless of their appointment time, in the hope of getting away earlier, which meant that once they DID start seeing them, when they'd put them in pairs, they seemed to go in a random order, which had no relation to their original time.

Can't believe Bizi after all our conversations, we were in the same small corridor and didn't realise we "knew" each other!!

We've not heard anything on it anyway - which isn't surprising as family matching never works out for my DD - Commercial CDs seem to think that if parents have brown hair, then the kids must have brown hair too - which is tricky when there are virtually NO naturally blonde adults around!!!!

Anyway, if you hear of anybody booked, do let me know. I've already officially written it off, but it's still nice to know the end of the story!
meadow3
BRIT Award

Post by meadow3 »

Nicola, cant believe you were there!! Like you said we too have written this one off so many kids even girls up to the age of 15 years, very odd,

We were there about 4.30pm and finally got out at 6.30pm, worst thing for us was we were only there the day before!!! ](*,)
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Were you sitting on the stairs in a white shirt by any chance?! Now I come to think, I remember a little blonde boy - he didn't get matched up with K as there was a smaller blonde girl and a taller blonde boy, but I remember thinking he looked familiar :lol:

We arrived about 3:45 and got out about 5:30 - having said that, our casting was booked at 4:30 (so we were early anyway) but when we arrived, the casting assistant said that we should have been informed our time had been moved to 5:15, which I knew nothing about. I wasn't really complaining as I was 2/3 of the way through a really good book, so I had a lovely time sitting in the corner immersed in the exploits of Mickael Blomkvist! \:D/

Ans at least they still took plenty of time with each pair (even though they were running late) as there can be a tendency on those occasions to try to get kids in and out quick smart to reduce the queue, which when you've come a distance grates on the nerves somewhat!!!

I sympathise with you though if you had to do it 2 days running - we've had London trips 3 weeks running, and even that's getting too much for us!!!

ps - the new brief for the girl's part was 12-14, hence why there might have been older girls there. Last week, the brief had been "nobody that looked over 11" so it seems like they're not entirely sure WHAT they're after!
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

Nicola wrote:Were you sitting on the stairs in a white shirt by any chance?!
That was me!

Our app was for 4pm and there were a few people there when we arrived. From what I could make out (listening to the girl on the desk) I'm not so sure the adults were overrunning, more that they double booked the kids at the same time as the adults. The reason we waited so long was because my ds had brown hair which has gone a golden colour by the sun (just got back from holiday) and there were more children with either dark brown or blonde who were matched up and he was left without anyone. We had to wait for the next batch of children to arrive and he was eventually paired off but meant it was nearly 6 before he went in. There were still children arriving when we left so not sure who paired them up?

Hope a NAPM gets it but it won't be DS.

x
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Mpesm - I remember your little boy clearly. They couldn't pair him up at first as all the rest seemed to be either VERY dark or VERY blonde, and he was the only one in between! He had a lovely cheeky smile!

I was sitting tucked up on a chair at the top of the lower stairs with my nose in a book!

So there were still people arriving when you left - I wonder how long the casting was going on for then?!
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

Hi Nicola

Ah thank you, yep that's him - I thought we were going to be let go but they eventually got him a "sister"!

I think there were appointments until 6.30 but don't know who was pairing them up as the lady who did it fir our lot had left. Anyway, ds enjoyed the actual casting especially building the car so always look for the positive.

I did see you reading your book and also noticed a man playing "angry birds" on his iphone and getting annoyed when he missed - i wanted to ask him what level he was on lol. What a shame we didn't realise we were napm's.
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

well - i suppose with an open audition, you know what you could be letting yourself in for

we went to one casting where the boys were supposed to have learned a verse of a song - ds had, and we turned up to time. however, just after we arrived, about half a dozen kids arrived who had *not* learned the song, so they decided to suspend the auditions whilst they taught this group the songs - and then they auditioned them straight away, with us still sitting there like lemons - no chance of going out and coming back as we weren't in any ordered queue. the atmosphere in the room we were waiting in was pretty dry, and by the time ds was actually called, some 3 and a half hours after we'd arrived, he'd developed a tickly cough and couldn't sing!

i saw a panicky advert (may even have been on here) close to the shooting date, which i am almost certain from the description was the same shoot, so i guess something had gone wrong - anyway they they urgently needed a boy on half term who could perform unlicensed (this was some years ago) - hope it was them - serve them right {evil}

tbh if this happened now, i would have left
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.