NYT

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Paggle
GRAMMY Award

NYT

Post by Paggle »

hi, was thinking about auditioning for nyt this year...
does anyone here have any experience with them?
How much do they charge etc.
Would be very grateful if you would let me know asap :)
x
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Re: NYT

Post by Welsh Mum »

my DD did this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it - though it was quite pricey!
the course was good though getting parts in productions difficult if you are not in London.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Paggle
GRAMMY Award

Post by Paggle »

Welsh mum- whhen you say "quite pricey", how pricey do you mean?
Thanks for your help :)
x
Behind The Scenes
Nominee

Post by Behind The Scenes »

My DD did this course last year and absolutely loved it. She even got to take part in S'warm on the opening night.

Last year to audition it was £30, which consisted of a morning workshop with everyone, and in the afternoon the applicants had to each perform a monologue.

If you get accepted you then need to complete one of their courses. It is 'very pricey' as you have to pay the course fees which were about £350, plus for those that needed accommodation it was about £380. When you also add in money for food and transport it does get very expensive.

However, she had an amazing time, and at fourteen she had the chance to be independent for a couple of weeks.

Once you've done the course you can then apply for the NYT productions, but as you would expect you need to audition for these. In 2011 they have several audition sessions in January and February, and again you need to pay another £30 to audition. My dd hasn't attended one of these sessions yet, but is due to audition in January. Even though she is now considered to be a member of the NYT there is no guarantee that she will be chosen for any future productions.

One advantage of being a NYT member is that my DD gets access to the 'Members Area' on the Idea's Tap website, which gives information about what is going on with the NYT and also some casting opportunities.

As Welsh Mum has mentioned most of the productions seem to be in the London area, so if you live too far from London the cost could get very pricey, as you may need to factor in travel and accommodation.
Paggle
GRAMMY Award

Post by Paggle »

woah... thankyou for your long reply :)
See, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get involved with NYT, but my family just CAN'T afford to pay about £380 :(
xrebeccax
Nominee

Post by xrebeccax »

I'm auditioning too this year, and was wondering what monologues everyone was doing? I'm keen on doing a contemporary monologue-any suggestions?
Reaching for the stars..
ActingMad26
GRAMMY Award

Post by ActingMad26 »

Check out amazon for cheap monologue books, that is what I did :D xo
smile :)
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Paggle wrote:woah... thankyou for your long reply :)
See, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get involved with NYT, but my family just CAN'T afford to pay about £380 :(
My DD raised quite a bit hreself. We did lots of car boot sales, everyone in the family gave her money for b'dy presents, she sold some old dance costumes on e bay. She also wrote to local businesses and organisations like the Rotary etc - didn't get loads, but every little helps. You have lotas of time to raise the money, so don't write it off too soon!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

My two raised quite a bit of money themselves (dd for YMT:UK and ds for NYT). We had a fund-raising concert, which certainly took a lot of organising but was great fun. They were also very fortunate to get some money from a local Charitable Trust. It's worth doing some research into whether there is anything in your area: sometimes the really local ones are the best bet as they may have a very limited geographical area to cover - you might only get a small amount but, as Welshmum says, every little helps. I don't know where you're based, but sometimes more rural areas have small Trusts administered by the local town or parish councils - worth doing some digging at your local library and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Another note from my children's personal experience: they did enjoy the courses they did (especially dd at YMT:UK) but they did not necessarily rate the experience any higher than other amateur theatrical and musical experiences they got involved in (which cost much, much less or even nothing at all!). My son rated his NYT experience less highly than many of his other theatrical experiences (lots of local amateur shows, his Saturday drama club, setting up his own theatre company and involvement in the annual Gilbert and Sullivan shows with Pamela Bilik - now PB Theatricals). I know lots of people who have loved NYT but I also know a few who have not, so if you do miss out, you needn't feel that there are not other opportunities and experiences which will be just as useful and just as much fun.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I agree pg - but one thing about NYT and YMT:UK (Dd has done both) is that the residantial experience, which made her more independent and outgoing with strangers (always her weak point). Also doing it all day everyday confirmed her desire for training. Another plus was working with industry professionalswhich was also illuminating and beneficial.
Paggle
GRAMMY Award

Post by Paggle »

Thanks for the help guys :)
I guess I have a lot of time to fundraise now, because the application deadline has passed :(
Also, I'm based in Kent, so I will have to look for local charities :D
x