Enders Game

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: Enders Game

Post by geordiegirl »

Ds audition was via the agent. No idea how to contact CD and I suspect (like those in UK) they wont welcome unsolicited communication. There may be some info about auditions on that website. I remember the casting process for Diary of a Wimpy Kid started with agent only castings and then they threw it out to all and accepted youtube and vimeo auditions. Kids signed up online and were sent sides then self taped and uploaded. Maybe that might happen this time as there are lots of kid roles to cast. It has a start date of Feb 2012 filming in New Orleans (according to a few sources) so they would need to be pushing ahead to get their cast together quite quickly I would have thought. Especially now they have their Ender.
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Wow, they have to pay to audition/send tapes in??? Is that normal or just a company jumping on the band wagon as it is still popular?? They are still charging $6 for Ender audition! :x
Jellybabies
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jellybabies »

i would probably pay that to audition haha! how do you do that????
lindy7
BRIT Award

Post by lindy7 »

Hi all

Just to let you know that once again the main roles go to well established actors as Chloe Moretz has been offered the role of Valentine. Sometimes I can't see what is the point as my dd has gone up for film roles and every time they have gone to Chloe who by the way is brilliant. I do wish sometimes a CD will take a chance on an unknown for once as I am getting fed up going to London and the same outcome keeps happening!!
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

I suppose casting directors use the agency auditions to justify the fees they charge to the production companies, when in fact they know all along what their preference is. [-X ](*,)
titania

Post by titania »

Just to clarify how casting usually works. The CD (Casting director) sits down with the director and draws up a wish list of named actors who they believe will fit the brief, and they are often invited in first to read or meet. In the case of a kids parts in particular they may well then do open calls just to check that they havent missed someone more suitable. To lead a movie requires substantial ability and it is therefore not surprising that often the parts go to known actors who have had that experience even though to outsiders that may seem unfair, but just consider the money involved. In big budget productions millions are being staked on the film being a success and the financial backers/studios are not likely to take a risk if they can avoid it.

Some open calls are genuine,think Golden Compass, Harry Potter to name just a few but in these cases the unkown actors are often surrounded by experienced adults who can carry the children through the process.

I am not condoning the process and so much seems unfair but it is a harsh reality of what goes on. Luck in getting a break early plays a huge part for kids but even so it still means nothing when they become adults so dont despair look at Game of thrones, it is kick starting many young adults careers several who are fresh out of drama school.

Please still feel free to vent anger and frustration but at least understand why it happens.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Thanks Titania - I DO understand the issues they face when casting a young person in an important role, but surely if they have their wish-list, it would make more sense to explore this avenue fully before wasting everyone else's time and money. The combination of the two actors in question here comes as no surprise, considering they have another film out together at the moment, so why hold weeks of agency auditions when these negotiations must have been going on for a loooong time?
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

And remember - no one is born 'a known actor' even these children had to have a lucky break or have worked their way up, progressively getting bigger and bigger roles until they are the lead. Keep smiling and each audition is a chance - you may not get that particular part but they may remember you for another! :D
elena
BRIT Award

Post by elena »

Pigs might fly!
I am native Russian.

"An ounce of luck is better than a pound of wisdom." italian proverb
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

I think we should just be celebrating that a British kid has scooped the lead in a big American film. =D>
hollydolly
GRAMMY Award

Post by hollydolly »

Yes I agree - they might fly ! My ds got down to the last six boys for Nanny McPhee and The Big Bang and once again the parts went to established actors - Asa being one of them. I was told at the time how wonderful my ds had done and that he would definitely be remembered for any suitable roles. Of course, this made us feel much better at the time, however, this was almost 3 years ago and I fear he has not been remembered at all. Still, I also agree, every audition is a chance and you have to be 'in it to win it'. Best of luck to you all.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

I fear I have become MUCH to cynical for my own good - sorry for seeming negative! #-o
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think it's possible to be cynical and optimistic.
A little homespun philosophy anyone?
Don't let the cynicism make you bitter and don't let the optimism make you blind.

I am much better at the cynical bit ;)
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

ooo - I LIKE that PG - on both counts!!!!
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Hailee Steinfeld is in talks for a role in this as well!