Agency 'meeting'

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rosie
Nominee

Agency 'meeting'

Post by Rosie »

Hi,

I've been asked to go for a meeting at Impact Media Management after applying to their 'open books' ad on starnow. They said that if they like me at the meeting they will ask me to come back and audition for them.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice?? .... is this usual to meet before an audition? has anyone had any experience with them? is there any questions I should ask? just not sure what to expect as this is my first dealings with an agency.

Thanks!
Yasminda
Nominee

Re: Agency 'meeting'

Post by Yasminda »

They asked me the same thing. But I didn't go because I didn't think they looked very professional I dunno they just looked suspicious
Rosie
Nominee

Post by Rosie »

What made you think they were suspicious? I've obviously had a look at their twitter, website and facebook and looks pretty legit to me. I don't believe they are one of the top talent agencies like Curtis Brown, HH etc. especially as they were only established last year but I didn't think they were suspicious... now im a little concerned!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dont touch with a barge pole. The costs quoted are way out of order and a professional web site does not mean a professional agency! If they are advertising on starnow they are not an established agency and there is no name to contact anywhere. If I am wrong than maybe someone from the agency can contact the site and give me at admin more information.
Hope Never Dies....
Rosie
Nominee

Post by Rosie »

Ok thanks for your advice. I mean I would never pay those prices for 'packages' they state on their website, and make sure they were not a requirement if I were to sign with the agency, and of course there were no agency fees. I've realised in fact I know someone who is listed as their actors on their website. You definitely advise not even go for the meeting?

What signs should I be looking for to say an agency is not legit? and can I ask what you would class as a professional agency?
I've acting experience but not a drama school student so that minimises but likelihood of getting representation, especially at agencies I've listed above. How do I know 'lesser' agencies that dont have such high standards and talent are legit? I'd like to get professional jobs, and also not have to rely on places such as starnow which is why im seeking representation.

Gosh it can be confusing! sorry for all the questions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rosie if there are no fees to meet thats a good sign, however I find the lack of a contact name a little worrying. Also you shouldnt need 2 meetings 1 is enough that is also a little odd. I know its hard to get agents but the reality of the business is that it is tough. Keep applying for jobs on the various sites, sometimes what looks like a low budget production can be the break you need. Just please be very careful and dont part with money except for spotlight and getting some photos done.

Others might have a different view my kids were lucky got agents young and then haven't had a problem since. That being said new agencies do come along but I would certainly be asking which casting directors contact them and what recent work their clients have got and of course not parting with any money to them.
Hope Never Dies....
Rosie
Nominee

Post by Rosie »

When they replied through starnow they did in fact give me a name, but I do agree advertising through starnow and having 2 meetings is a bit odd. I will be cautious, and would never part with my money or sign anything without being thorough. Thanks very much, and I will definitely be asking those questions.
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

I would suggest that there is no harm in going along to the meeting - just make sure you ask all of the appropriate questions before you make any decisions. If it turns out that they aren't legit or just not right for you then there's no loss, it just at least gives you a chance to practice an agency meeting and see what sorts of things people are looking for. Major questions I would ask are:
> Are there agency fees? (Spotlight fees of £88 a year are standard but fees just to be on their books is a big no no)
> Do you have to have headshots taken by their photographer? (It's fine if they just suggest a photographer but if you have to have it exclusively with their photographer then that's a little fishy)

Above all just see how you feel about it - if the meeting just feels a little odd then don't worry about saying no, there are plenty more agencies out there :)