Would you miss a holiday

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

valsse
Nominee

Would you miss a holiday

Post by valsse »

My DD has just successfully auditioned for a part in Carousel the musical running at Barbican theatre in August and September, we were told that she would need to go back for a recall next week, but sadly we are going to the South of France for half term. Now realised they meant she would definately have had a part and am thinking, perhaps we should have cancelled for such a good opportunity. It is her first time for somehing like this and I feel really awful and am thinking should I phone and ask if it is too late to go to the recall and cancel the holiday. What would anyone else do?
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Re: Would you miss a holiday

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Have you asked them if they can reschedule? Because my agent once managed to reschedule an audition because I was on holiday, and that was a first audition, so you probably have quite a chance if it's a recall.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I would have cancelled a half term break for such an opportunity ... And at the Barbican, the CV would look much more appealing. !!! And massive well done to her as well!
We have cancelled a holiday before and my hubby drove DS back for a final recall on a voice over Job(great money and opportunity) from the South of FRance a couple of years ago. It was between him and another boy. Sadly he never got it but I took comfort from the fact the pilot was never taken forward 8) They clearly chose the wrong boy ;)
If it was a long haul or something I wouldn't cancel.... ( unless it was TRULY) worth it :lol:
Totally depends on the project or job.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Depends if you have other children that were looking forward to the holiday. I wouldn't cancel a holiday as around the forner is another opportunity that may be better
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Hi we have never cancelled a holiday because we have 2 other non performing kids but we have on a number of occasions left dd at home with other family members if she has been working!

It has always been her choice work or holiday and she has known that if she chooses work then the rest of the family will still go on holiday as its not fair for them to miss out.

So maybe thats an option for you if you have someone else who can look after her. :?
Bring it on!!!
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

If the CD is interested, they will see her after the holiday. I always flag up prior committments. If it is urgent, there is always the opportunity of taping and e mailing the initial audition.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Not everyone is lucky enough to get regular opportunities or find other things round the corner, CDs can take their pick and the majority will tell you to take it or leave it,
I appreciate it's a big deal cancelling a holiday, but for most performers noone is forming an orderly queue for them, sometimes you have to seize the moment ... And that may mean cancelling a holiday.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

I feel the same as gordiegirl, my oldest ds was on holiday with my mother with my other kids came back early for ds he did not get the part felt guilty as my mum and other children miss out. Youngest ds auditioned for EastEnders did not hear then when we where in Ireland got a call to say he had a recall there was no way I was going to come back for recall yes for a job thought that was it, a few days later got a call from agent to Say he got it. Same thing with Tommy Zoom could notable recall they changed the date for him. Find out how many people have recall for the part if lots then go I'd only a few then don't go. Because she has a recall dose not mean she has the part, how are you going to feel if she dose not get the part and you all have missed out on a nice holiday.
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

This is a difficult one. We have cut a UK holiday short by one day to attend an audition, but this was DS' choice and, to be fair, we only have him so didn't have to consider any other siblings.

We did drive to London and back one day during a holiday in North Wales for 3 auditions that all happened to come up on the same day. We then had to drive to London again 'on the way home' at the end of the week for a recall!

We have turned auditions down before because we have been on holiday. I think he ended up being seen for all but one of these in the end anyway, so these things are never that inflexible.

I would speak to the production company/CD/whoever is your first point of contact and explain the situation. I think the first thing you need to do is establish if she actually has a part or not, as it's a bit weird to have a recall after she has been told she has a part (especially as the kids' casting in Carousel is very dependent on height). Explain your dilemma and see what they suggest.

If you DD is definitely cast, then surely then can do without her at the 'recalls'. If not, then they will be flexible with the recall if they are interested in her. Give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
helenbarney1
Nominee

Post by helenbarney1 »

Seems a bit odd as my son has been asked to an audition this Friday for first round auditions. They are seeing boys and girls in London on friday. I wouldn`t guarantee that your daughter`s been cast as it seems as if they`re still looking. This audition is through my sons agency so they`re still obviously approaching agencies for children.
valsse
Nominee

Post by valsse »

Hi, sorry haven't come back before and thanks for all the advice! We went on the holiday as in the end my DS really wanted to as she hadn't been on TGV before!
It does seem really odd about this audition, her agency has posted on their facebook page that the others that got through have definately got the part and were congratulating them, this was before we went away so they hadn't been back for the recall yet! Then I noticed someone else got in after that and now from the last post it seems they are still looking, most odd! Do you mind me asking who you have been put forward with Helen?
hollydolly
GRAMMY Award

Post by hollydolly »

Hi my ds was confirmed for this nearly two weeks ago. The company have already started the licencing procedure and we have received dates for performances etc. I believe they are looking for 3 sets of children so maybe that's why they are still auditioning. Good luck to all :D