NYT audition pieces

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

risingstarxx
GRAMMY Award

NYT audition pieces

Post by risingstarxx »

Hi all,
I hope that this is not a question that has been asked too often but what sort of monologues are good to use for NYT auditions?
Last edited by risingstarxx on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: NYT audition pieces

Post by Flosmom »

There is quite a lot of info about NYT on here. If you pop NYT into the search box on the top RH side of this page, you'll find threads about it, including the audition process. Hope you find what you are looking for.

There is a lot of info about monologues too, just browse the threads and you'll find it. If you get stuck, ask :lol:

Good luck!

Deb x
risingstarxx
GRAMMY Award

Post by risingstarxx »

Ok I have now looked through all the responses on this thread ....there were a lot! but there wasn't anything that specific on what particular pieces to avoid/choose and so on? as I have heard different opinions on this next question I thought I should post it here and see what you all make of it; it my individual piece should I do something that requires a different accent or not?
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

risingstarxx wrote:Ok I have now looked through all the responses on this thread ....there were a lot! but there wasn't anything that specific on what particular pieces to avoid/choose and so on? as I have heard different opinions on this next question I thought I should post it here and see what you all make of it; it my individual piece should I do something that requires a different accent or not?
why don't you email them for advice? - I heard they are really friendly and eager to help...
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

It is always best to stick to your own accent for audition pieces in my opinion. That does mean that you need to choose a piece that works for your accent - so don't choose something written for a dialect that is not your own.

General advice for choosing audition pieces:
Choose something appropriate for your age and accent.
Choose something that has "high stakes" for the character if possible (it makes your job easier). That doesn't mean it has to be dramatic/angry/serious - it just means that the piece you choose should express an important part of the character's journey. The best speeches are often those where the character is trying to change/influence someone (it can be where they are trying to change/influence themselves).

It is very difficult indeed to make personal recommendations on an internet forum - as so much depends on you and the sort of person you are.

I have suggested these things before, so you may already have read this:

1. Read as many plays as you can.
2. Ask people who know you for recommendations.
3. Go and see as much theatre as you can - pick plays you don't know where possible - if you are looking for audition speeches, read what you can about the play to see whether there is likely to be a character in it you could play.
4. Look for local playwrights - often a great hunting ground.
5. Look at books of monologues/speeches and find a playwright you like, then look for other plays by that playwright.
6. Long-standing members of amateur groups may have loads of plays you could look through - and may have some good suggestions.
7. The National Theatre bookshop and French's in London are great places to browse.
8. If you have access to something like LoveFilm or NetFlix there are lots and lots of filmed plays you could watch.
9. When timing it make sure that you read it out loud - in performance "mode" - don't time it muttering under your breath: the timing is likely to be very different. Always err on the side of brevity - much better to be too short than too long. An audition is not a memory test (though of course you do need to know it well so that you can cope if you are re-directed at audition).

There aren't really many short-cuts to finding good audition speeches - but the hunt is a really important part of the preparation and brilliant for your progress as an actor!
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

Looking on NYT website and there doesnt appear to be any auditions in Wales, unless they are fully booked up. Also all auditions are in school term time, well for Wales anyway. :(
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

They are in Cardiff (and I think also somewhere like Hereford near the Welsh border?) but maybe they're fully booked now. You could drop them an email to see if any spaces become available? And sometimes they introduce more dates if there's a demand.