NYT

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

NYT

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Hi just wondering of there are any NYT members out there in NAPM land? Are your DC doing one of their productions this year?

Little DD did the intro course last year and this year auditioned for the productions. She has just received a recall for The Boiler Room at the West Yorkshire Playhouse, is anyone else's DC doing it? Or attending recalls? We are surprised (and delighted) as it is so long after the initial audition. Obviously a long way to go yet but still nice to have a shot...
Last edited by TotallycluelessMum on Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Re: NYT

Post by rebeccaM »

Hello,

My dd attended the recall for The Boiler Room on Saturday - she was really pleased to get a recall for an NYT production. She was in the afternoon workshop in Brixton.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Hi :)
DD was there in the morning in Brixton, for the West Yorkshire Playhouse one, was that the same for you?
She really enjoyed it, said everyone was very talented and she was the youngest, so definitely no expectations but learnt lots anyway.
It's interesting how few NAPM NYTers there are, the NYMT threads are always really active but the NYT ones have tumbleweed blowing across them!!! :lol:
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

DS is planning to try for NYT next year. He loved his experience with NYMT last year but now he's thinking he wants to do more straight acting.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Both NYMT and NYT seem great organisations, just maybe covering different skills, big DD is doing the intro course this year and I know a couple of other people from West Side Story got in too. Good luck to your very talented DS, I'm sure he'll be fantastic :)
cookycrew
GRAMMY Award

Post by cookycrew »

Don't know if I dare to admit this, but I don't understand all of the options available :oops:
DD went the the 1 day workshop/audition in Manchester earlier this year, we were not really prepared as only had info which we read on here & on the NYT website. She enjoyed the workshop but didn't get offered a 'place' this time round & to be fair, she didn't expect to be chosen as she was a little unprepared mainly with her choice of monologue (she had been really busy with two other projects to give he monologue enough attention) . Please could you explain to me briefly how it all works TotallyCluelessMum? Has your dd previously done the audition workshop which my dd did in Manchester? If so, was she then offered a place on the NYT two week workshop? Then after attending that, was she offered an audition for one their productions ie.The Boiler Room? - (I can't see that production on the NYT website). As you can tell, i'm confused :-k
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Me too Cookiecrew!
But as I understand it, you're right... Everyone has to do the workshop audition with the seperate monologue session, they're all over the country from Jan to late Feb I think. You then do a two week summer course ( which dd2 absolutely loved) and become a member. Then the next year they can attend a casting audition, workshop and monologue again and they may get recalled for a production.

To complicate things even further, they have a High profile Rep season, in the West End, which members who are 18+ Can audition for, that's what they mostly focus on on the website.

They said at dd2's casting audition that the productions are mainly for older kids, the boiler room in Leeds is a modern adaptation of a Camus play ( sadly, for us, with no apparent appropriate roles for tiny yorkshire lasses!!!!)

I think loads of people have to audition more than once and dd1 got in this year after not succeeding before, I think they like persistence, she said it's worth it for the workshop and the monologue practice. Good luck to your dd!!
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

And to complicate it even more - NYT offer an Epic Stages training programme for six weeks in August, which you also have to audition for but you don't need to be a member to attend - selection is by audition. They also offer a Masterclass Week in October and February for drama school entry practice - again you don't need to be a member.

My dd became a member two years ago (she didn't get in on her first try) and luckily she tried again - since then, she has had two recalls for NYT productions but couldn't go to the Pope Joan recall last year as she had committed to something else. I agree, it is all totally confusing to keep up with - but I follow them on twitter and that keeps me up to date with what's going on.

The Rep Company is really competitive as they only take 15 members - but it's a great opportunity for them performing in the West End. My dd was also recalled for the Boiler Room workshop - the speeches for that were very heavy don't you think TotallycluelessMum - I hadn't realised it was a modern adaptation from a Camus play?? DD really not sure how she did!

Hope that helps.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

DD thinks there are 4 different "Boiler Room" productions around the country, with various recalls in London on Saturday, the one she did was "The Just' and was v. heavy, although I think it was from the original text of the play and will presumably change.

Bit gutted tbh to hear there were more recalls for Leeds in the afternoon in Brixton, as DD was calculating the numbers there and her chances of getting in and they've now halved!!! 8-[ 8-[ :lol:

DD spent more time telling me how clever, well-spoken and talented everyone else was than on how she did!! I think she was a little in awe-but says she'd love to be a tree in the background just to watch and learn from everyone else!

Good luck to your DD, it seems like brilliant practice for Drama School auditions :)
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Was a no for us, 15 taken out of 60, fingers crossed for your DD RebeccaM :)
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

It was a no for us too - yes we got the email from Beth earlier. They did really well to get their recalls - very proud of them both. On to the next thing!!
cookycrew
GRAMMY Award

Post by cookycrew »

They both did well to get a recall, the numbers applying seem to be huge! DD said she definitely wants to try again next year, she felt that the workshop was worth the audition fee. Hopefully next time she will be more prepared & have taken advice on the best style of monologue to learn!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Yes, onwards and upwards, well done to your DD RebeccaM, a recall in both years is amazing!
Good luck to your DD Cookycrew, it's not scientific at all but both my DDs got in when they did a monologue that was close to them IYSWIM, in accent and age of character, rather than putting on clever voices etc :)
DQsMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by DQsMum »

Has anyone's DC's applied for this year?

Anyone who has done it before got any monologue advice?

DD is full of chest cold & booked her audition day but we are full on with other shows before then so no clue when we will prepare!?

And....any idea which weeks the course is ( just in case we get lucky for once!).... 8) 8)
"I have to act to live" - Sir Lawrence Olivier / http://www.starnow.co.uk/georgiehm