Advice on recalls and payment please...

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

olipops
Nominee

Advice on recalls and payment please...

Post by olipops »

My daughter has had a few commercial roles but has not been paid for any of the work. Some being 6 months ago now. Also, we've been to lots of recalls recently and wondered if travel was usually reimbursed as noting has ever been mentioned? Finally, having been with our agent for almost a year we still haven't got a contract (even though I have asked ) so I am wondering if this is all pretty standard (doubt the contract is) before I start questioning our agent. I really am thinking of jacking it all in because I am getting so fed up with how we get treated and all the last minute call backs for starting a job....it's actually costing me money!
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: Advice on recalls and payment please...

Post by lyndahill »

Some agents don't pass them on (believe it or not). Some jobs don't have recall fees- phone your agent and ask. I'd get annoyed at having to wait 6 months, but if you don't ask you won't get. Good Luck x
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I'd leave them.Might be a good thing you don't have a contract. Be as ruthless as they are!
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi,

It's common not to get paid for call-backs, the only ones we've ever been reimbursed for were the Jess Ronane ones (Billy etc) and yes, it will cost you money.

However, you should not be waiting 6 months to get paid (though we have on occasion) and you should have a contract with your agent. I suggest a very strongly worded email to whoever is in charge followed up with a phone call 2 days later then every week until you get what you want. Get the name of their accounts person and pester him/her. Keep notes on each conversation (who/when/what said) so you can quote it back to them if necessary. Obviously your agent is getting your DS plenty of work/auditions so take that into account and it might be best to get what you're owed before you walk out on them! Did you have contracts for the jobs?

Good luck x
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

If it is commercial recalls you have been going to then you should be getting a recall fee - (and a casting fee too!) My kids have always been paid them - never get anything for TV or film though - hope you get it sorted x
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Ds college put it down as authorised put work experance when it is really
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

6 months, no payments, no contracts, unknown contract terms? This is a bit scary.

Remember agents work for YOU. Sadly, there have always been dodgy agents who hang on to money and don't tell you what the deal is.

Things like payments and expenses are normally detailed in the contracts they negotiate, so they should know - especially as these should really be treated as disbursements - as in not part of the figure they use to deduct their cut from.

You MUST find this out. You have no idea if they're really working hard for you or not. One of the well known ladies I work with told me that if you phone your agents business number, not their mobile with caller ID, and just give your first name, and they don't know who you are and have to ask your surname, then you're just a name on the list, and it could be a very long list. Obviously, if you're not famous, then there could be plenty of Jane's on the books - but if Jane Smith doesn't ring a bell, something's wrong.

Maybe a new agent would be good, or a rocket for this one. The cynic in me makes me think that the agent would not wait 6 months for their commission, so maybe they have had it and not passed it on. It's common for the big names to have their quite big fees hung onto for 30 days, but after that they get very heavy!
olipops
Nominee

Post by olipops »

Thank you all so much for the advice. The update is we've still not been paid and both commercials have now been and gone on TV. I keep being promised payment and I know our agent has been paid. We've even had thank you letters from the TV producers, so it is quite obvious they have been paid! We were promised media files for the work done but this hasn't been followed up by our agent either. We do get a good few castings from our agent, they seem to put my child forward for quite a bit - we are known by first name but the payment/contract is becoming an issue now. :roll: :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are sure that they have been paid and you dont have an arrangement that gives them time scales for paying like only twice a year, I would suggest a letter giving them notice that they have 7 days to pay before you will begin proceedings. I am assuming its not one of the well known agencies, and I dont want them named in public but this shouldn't happen. However many castings you get does not excuse failing to hand over money that is not theirs.

If you want more advice please pm me.
Hope Never Dies....
snowball
BRIT Award

Post by snowball »

We are in same position! Ds did commercial beginning July and I know agent has been paid as production company couldnt believe ds hasnt! Its really frustrating and iv asked on several occasions. Well known agent too, annoying to say the least! :( if we dont respond asap then wed be in trouble with agent, shame doesnt work both ways!
Sweep
BRIT Award

Post by Sweep »

Outrageous. My dd filmed her ad, ad went on TV, agent paid we got paid. Definitely need to have some direct talking!
snowball
BRIT Award

Post by snowball »

Have tried direct talking, I dont think it worked :) agent not easy to deal with full stop..need to change I think which is a total pain but sounds like we should. Once iv got this money owing!!!