Drama School

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

ammdxx
BRIT Award

Drama School

Post by ammdxx »

Hello everyone,

So I am applying to drama school very soon, and of course with the normal procedure of auditions I need one Shakespearean and one contemporary monologue. I'm fine with Shakespeare, however I am really struggling to find a contemporary monologue that I love. I've trawled through monologue books but I just can't find an amazing monologue! I am basically just wondering if any of you have ever come across a contemporary monologue, particularly for women, which you really thought was a great monologue, and could really provide someone with a chance to excel their skills? Even if you know a website which contains some really great ones?

It would be so helpful!
Thankyou
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Drama School

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

I think rather than find a monologue from a list or a book of selections (always a risk they'll be overdone) you may be better off trying to find a play and picking out a monologue yourself. It's a very personal thing.
It can help to think of actresses you admire, that fit your physical type/age/accent and look at parts they have played. You could also think of contemporary playwrights from your area, or look back at plays you've enjoyed/monologues you've loved and see what else has been written by the same writer. If you're near London I've spent many a happy hour flicking through plays in the National Theatre bookshop to see if anything appeals.
Good luck :)