School absence for castings/auditions

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

School absence for castings/auditions

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Does anyone know what Head teachers are supposed to do when a child misses school to attend an audition? DS has a Matilda ensemble audition in a week or two. Last year he had two, about which I was honest, and the school basically said that's very nice for him but it goes down as unauthorised. I wasn't too bothered as he is doing well and is rarely ill. However, this winter he needs a licence to appear in panto and I know I will have a struggle to get the Head to sign off on it. So I don't know whether to be honest about the audition that is coming up or whether it's better if he's 'ill'. If anyone knows of a code Heads can use for a child attending an audition, so that it can be an authorised absence, please let me know! Thanks.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: School absence for castings/auditions

Post by lyndahill »

Educated offsite - that what we put down at the school I work in. Don't know the code though as in C/G or whatever the others are.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks. I will try suggesting that! Head is a real jobsworth, and not interested in anything except sport (for which of course kids miss lots of school with no problem). I would prefer not to have to make DS tell lies.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Getting very tricky - some are paranoid by their attendance rates. I'm not even sure that educated off-site is good enough now, unless it's signed off by somebody who is registered with DoE. The school I was in today has just turned into an academy and wow are they keen on attendance. Anyone missing from class is now reported at the start of each lesson, and I got ticked off for being late. I asked how they deal with requested absences and nobody knew the new system?

I wonder if this is how fines get generated, somebody missing, no permission, no contact - send them a bill?

My view is that it's unacceptable for the child to have to lie - although it's simple, but from what I see in the classes, kids always tell their best friend, who then tells everyone - the teachers will get to hear, so not worth it.

Maybe the fines are just an expense? I really can't see somebody being excluded for missing a few days - compared to the bunches of trouble who do get excluded. It would look bad if they caught up the work, and got good grades but had constantly been fined.

Good luck.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

Code c would be authorised absence and reducing attendance percentage, in the same way code m for hospital appointments does. If your child is there at registration and then leaves they get their mark for having been there at registration. Your DC should be on the Gifted & Talented Register and the school should be demonstrating what they do to support the G&T kids.

I work in a primary school office and it is far harder and more complicated than you can imagine. There are a serious number of aggressive, (sometimes under an influence) demanding parents and the nicer you are the more they expect. Luckily the kids make up for the bad days with parents even whilst we cope with the effects of children growing up with bad parenting. Then in come a variety of auditors and inspectors to make their demands as the phone rings, the late pe kits arrive for the other end of the site, the line of casualties arrive from the playground... Wouldn't change it for the world :D

Good luck with the casting!
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

I believe the code you are looking for is code B-educational off site activity.Good luck :)
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

That's brilliant Jomist, =D> everyone should print that off and have it to hand! (Except those who home school of course!! :lol:)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

francescamum - can I ask about home schooling? If somebody is doing this - do they have to follow any hours/time rules or guidelines? Since contact time is so much higher, is this allowed for - so does anyone monitor it? I've always wondered how it's done?
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

biscuitsneeded wrote:Does anyone know what Head teachers are supposed to do when a child misses school to attend an audition? DS has a Matilda ensemble audition in a week or two. Last year he had two, about which I was honest, and the school basically said that's very nice for him but it goes down as unauthorised. I wasn't too bothered as he is doing well and is rarely ill. However, this winter he needs a licence to appear in panto and I know I will have a struggle to get the Head to sign off on it. So I don't know whether to be honest about the audition that is coming up or whether it's better if he's 'ill'. If anyone knows of a code Heads can use for a child attending an audition, so that it can be an authorised absence, please let me know! Thanks.
We are in exactly the same position! We pretty much needed to ask permission for time off for panto and one whole day for Matilda audition at the same time (DS is at high school year 8) although he will be in 24 performances of the panto he will only need to actually miss 2.5 days of school. I asked for those first and his head of year totally surprised me by saying she's happy to authorise up to 5 whole days so I felt totally comfortable about requesting the day for audition. You never know you may also get a pleasant surprise.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Hmmmm. I wish, Trundlemum!

The wording from the guidelines is v v useful for if the Head makes difficulties about signing off on the licence, thank you. Maybe the Matilda audition will just have to be unauthorised. I don't think he has much chance of progressing beyond the first audition so we should be safe there!! Two years ago DS had to miss school to be in Oliver and the Head put him down as G&T to get around the absence rules, but I hate that label and subsequently asked to have him removed. Shot myself in the foot there I think! Ds has 33 performances of panto and will need to miss 7 afternoons and 3 mornings (they are doing some 11 am performances but I suppose he could register at 9am and then leave!!). The Head is really not in the slightest bit human so I fully anticipate a battle.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

Just to clarify my earlier post - In our school Code B would be used for performances and code C for auditions. But DD's school uses code C for both. Since neither trigger Educational Welfare visits or fines, and i don't belive in sending my DCs to school when they are sick so they stand little chance of 100% attendance anyway, so as long as the license is agreed it's all fine with me. I have yet to see any guidance from the council about the code to use, but the council's encouragement for schools to allow perfomances is specifically highlighted in guidance to our local schools =D>
frank2000
BRIT Award

Post by frank2000 »

I think it's so sad that there are schools out there that are not encouraging pupils who have natural talent and who are actively looking to improve their abilities. The school should be proud that they have your DC and encourage and support them ](*,) . I'm sure if your DC lands a role in the West End or on TV/film they would want to use that fantastic opportunity to publicise the school. My heart goes out to you, I find the audition process stressful as it is without worrying how it effects DDs school attendance record. I feel very lucky I have a very supportive Headmaster.
my heart goes out to those NAPMS who have tricky Heads.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

It was the amazing Begolina who posted the original letter after much investigation, slog and groundwork
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

Totally true Riverdancefan. And in my experience the legal side is not communicated to schools at all, so Head are making decisions blind on the legality. Even where the council is encouraging time off, the guidance is seen by the £14k pro rata (holidays not paid) administrator who may not have the ear if the Head (especially in a large school).
Dancetastic
BRIT Award

Post by Dancetastic »

I have been reading this post with interest. My dd has just started secondary and her new head ok'd
her to take some time out for panto. However we have had to ask for some time off for a west end audition and have been told this is the last exceptional instance! I am not sure what to do next really. What happens if she gets to the next audition or even gets a casting. It is going to be very difficult without the support of the school. Any advice please?