HOW TO FIND AUDITIONS

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

tracie
BRIT Award

HOW TO FIND AUDITIONS

Post by tracie »

Hi all,
new to this so any advice welcome. My son has an agent and its great but I have found myself with a bit more time on my hands and I was wondering where do you find audtions????? the agent said if we find any that's great so Where do I find them. I have registered him with Kids Casting Call Pro and Starnow. I would love to know a bit more. Many thanks to you all. Tx
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: HOW TO FIND AUDITIONS

Post by Flosmom »

Hi Tracie and welcome.

My advice to anyone who is new to this forum is to put the kettle on, put your feet up and read through all the posts on all the threads. It takes a while, but at the end of it you'll know the answers to all the questions you could think to ask, and many you didn't know you should.

There is a lot of info about auditions, including open auditions for West End shows that come around periodically. I don't know how old your DC is, but I'm sure you'll find something useful.

Star Now and KCCP are great sources of opportunities too.

Good luck

Deb x
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

Thank you Deb I really appreciate your post. Will have a good sift through everything. Many thanks
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information on this forum :)

I just thought I would mention that most auditions for mainstream work (other than possibly commercials) are never advertised anywhere that a member of the general public will see them - so however hard you look, you won't find them!

In any case, it tends not to be auditions that are advertised, but invitations to submit an actor's details. There might be thousands of submissions (literally...) but only a handful of people called in to audition.

The exception to this is Musical Theatre - these tend to be very open and the information is usually available from the CDs website, or via the shows' websites. They are also often advertised in The Stage.

Most auditions for TV and Film are not "open" auditions - they are usually cast via agents. This is also true for some theatre work (though professional, paid, straight acting work for young people is relatively thin on the ground anyway).

Occasionally there are open auditions for films - quite how genuine these "opportunities" are is open to question, certainly getting publicity for the film and building excitement is a large part of the reason for arranging them. If you have an agent, it is almost certainly better to ask your agent to arrange for an audition rather than joining the queue for an open audition.

Unpaid opportunities, like student films, are often advertised on free-to-view sites like Mandy as well as on sites like Starnow and CCP. Your agent won't be particularly interested in those, for obvious reasons, but probably won't object to you applying for them (providing you talk to them first, so that you don't count yourself out of another, better opportunity). Do take care to research companies carefully though - there's an awful lot of hyperbole used in casting breakdowns for unpaid and low paid work and sometimes there are out and out scams.

Screenterrier checks the credentials of people before posting information. Starnow doesn't and neither does Mandy. CCP should - but sometimes things get past them.

If you do find opportunities for paid work, I would always recommend discussing it with your agent - even if that means them taking their commission. They may be able to negotiate a better deal for one thing.