YMT and NYT audition results timing

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

beccy
Nominee

YMT and NYT audition results timing

Post by beccy »

Hi all - I'm a new user but have seen some really good advice previously on the site so thought I'd ask if anyone's been in this situation. DD audtioned for YMT, NYMT and NYT this year. Didn't get in to NYMT but has just been offered a place at YMT. To confirm her place we need to pay £250 by 27 March and another £270 by end of April and we can't afford to just pay this and then drop out later. Here's the thing though - she won't find out if she has been accepted for NYT until at least mid April, possibly early May. So we are in a dilemma. Because once you are in the NYT, you stay a member until you're 26, this would probably be the one to accept if she were lucky enough to be offered a place. BUT it's her first audition this year and we both know there's a good chance she won't get in. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is there any way anyone has else has found of delaying payment to the YMT to see if they get an NYT offer? Really don't want to mess either organisation around. What would you do? Thank you...
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Re: YMT and NYT audition results timing

Post by rebeccaM »

We have been in a similar position one year - so I do know what you mean. DD was already a NYT member but had a casting recall for Joan of Arc - we had already paid for YMT production of Great Expectations. If your DD was successful getting into NYT, my view would be that she must do the two week membership course absolutely - I would then be hoping like mad, that it didn't clash with the YMT production. Could you not email NYT, and just say can they let you know when the two weeks are likely to be - then you can see if there is a clash. Also YMT do give refunds - not the whole amount admittedly - but read the Ts and Cs as there is something about that on there. Hope that helps your decision.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

If it's any help, NYT course dates are as follows:

The 2 week junior course (for those aged 14-17): 4th August - 15th August 2015 (inclusive)

The 2 week senior course (for those aged 18-21): 18th August - 29th August 2015 (inclusive)

The 4 week epic stages course (for those aged 18-25): 3rd August - 29th August 2015 (inclusive)

All courses will be held in London.

From http://www.nyt.org.uk/audition-types/

I checked these yesterday as DS tried out this weekend. I was interested to note that the courses are all under the length they claim to be e.g. 11 days rather than 2 weeks.
beccy
Nominee

Post by beccy »

Thanks for the replies so far. The NYT course would be 4 to 15 Aug and the YMT is also 3 August to 16 August so they do overlap (although this isn't really an issue because we probably couldn't stretch to paying for both)...it's more about whether to accept the YMT place and then drop out later (and if we can avoid paying at least one of the first YMT installments) ... Thanks for the tip about checking out the terms and conditions - just going off to do that now. Any more tips gratefully received :D