Open Call Disney Audtions

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Open Call Disney Audtions

Post by dancingmoll »

Hey all, my dd is planning on attending the upcoming open call audition in London on the 21st/21nd of July for Disney Land Paris character performers and parade dancers. She's a bit unsure of what to expect as the poster doesn't offer much clue as what to expect, what she'll have to do, songs and monologues to prepare etc! If anyone has any experience or know of anyone who does we'd really appreciate any tips or pointers, thanks!
MissyMoo
BRIT Award

Re: Open Call Disney Audtions

Post by MissyMoo »

A few years ago my DD went for this...she googled and gots lots of info, YouTube videos and forums especially for it. Have a nosey on the Internet. They had to do something like 8 counts as a dwarf, 8 counts as a pirate, 8 counts as princess...etc etc. She was very well prepared until they told them to forget all dance training and think and act like a small child! So her carefully choreographed rehearsed steps went out the window! Basically they want confident, smiley (bordering on cheesy) bubbly characters . Hope this helps x
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

Hi Dancingmoll,

The first thing to bear in mind is that they do not alter costumes, the performer has to fit the costume!

DS has been twice to the open auditions, first time he got through the first 2 rounds and the second he passed the auditions and subsequently was offered a contract.

The first thing they do is measure people. Then the first round is animation, and as MissyMoo has said this involved being different characters to a count of 8 in a specific order. This is purely animation with no speaking - very few characters at Disney speak. Big movements and lots of cheesy smiles! If you pass animation then it is on to the dance round where you are taught a dance - again, be happy and smiley! There is no singing.

After the dance round there was another cut, then those left were split into two or three groups, one group was told that although they did well they did not 'fit' this time but to try again. Some were taken away for make up and wig fitting to see if they could be a specific face character. The group that DS was in were given cards that said they had passed and that their details would be kept for 6 months and they would be contacted if something came up within their height, availability and skills. Some people just got character, some got character and parade performer.

DS got a call a week later and was offered a 7 month contract as a character and parade performer.

Please PM if there is anything else you would like to know x
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Really helpful replies, thank you both very much for your inside info! That's interesting about the costumes, I wonder what kind of sizes they're looking for! any one know what kind of height they look for in a girl? Did either of your DC have to sing at the audition or see anyone that did? I think it would be sensible to take some music just in case! We will have a dig around on line and get improvising around the characters you mentioned, thanks again! :D
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Disney characters come in quite a lot of different heights. My DD was supposed to audition in April so we read the brief on characters - there is a small range for each character but a large range of heights when all characters are considered. DD has a friend who is about 5'2" she is a Minnie Mouse and another who is about 5'7" and she is a princess. My DD is just under 5'5" and I know she was too tall for a couple, too small for a couple but within the range for most. Good luck to your DD - all of my DD's friends who have worked there have loved it.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

Hi Dancingmoll,

There is no singing at all at the open character and parade auditions so no need for music. I think they have separate auditions for those roles.

If you do a search for 'Disneyland Paris Character heights' it will bring up the different ranges for the characters.

When you 'pass' the audition you get a card saying that you are on the waiting list for up to 6 months for a position to become available in your height range, talent levels and availability dates. Some people just get a character role, some get character and parade performer. Some get chosen to be a face character, like the princesses.

DS is 6ft and has already been assigned a specific character but I am not sure if this is always the way it works.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Thanks for all of your help, really interesting and helpful notes there will pass them on to my dd! one final question, the poster states you must bring a non returnable CV, what kind of things should it include, purely performance experience, dance and singing exams etc? or should we add work experience and academic things on too?
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Oh and should it include a head shot!?
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

If you want to PM me your email address am happy to send you what DS took with him.
moleseymum
BRIT Award

Post by moleseymum »

DS had headshot on his but they were subsequently told that it was not necessary and they took their own photos.

DS had personal info, dance and singing skill info (genres of dance, vocal range). Where he had trained and performing credits.

Good luck if your DD is still planning to go this week :)