Steven Spielberg self tape that was advertised

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Steven Spielberg self tape that was advertised

Post by Irishdancer »

Ds sent in a tape a few days ago got a email to say they where still looking. We where out in LA with my cousins son who lives in LA and knows a lot in the film industry he told us an American actor has been cast for the part makes you cross ds hates doing self tapes looks like they know this actor was going to get it so why get every one to self tape. Can't remember the name of the actor just thought I would let any ones ds who did a self tape and got the email to say they are still they are not so every one can forget about it
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Steven Spielberg self tape that was advertised

Post by paulears »

When anyone asks for these, they know they are going to get inundated with the things. It's then usual to get the office interns to view them and discard the bad ones, then somebody in the production company looks and the remainder, and passes a few on, until there's a small bucket load for he casting directors to view. Parallel with this are the usual agent picks. They'll carry on casting and accepting new names until the contract is signed, and to be honest, they'll carry on, just in case the primary signed actor become ill, breaks their contract terms or just doesn't gel, so it's never a total waste of time. It's not that uncommon for actors to be replaced after a short while if it doesn't work.

One thing to worry about is why your son hates performing for the camera? If he doesn't like it, or feels awkward, it will show in his performance - so as this becomes more common, it's vital to practice this so he's more comfy doing it. The trouble is, many of the ones I've seen are really awkward to watch, so even if the people were brilliant, the short clip doesn't show it.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

My dd doesn't like self tape either. She much prefers the interaction you get face to face. Then the Cd can ask for it to be done a certain way, redone with different emotions etc. She once got cast as an understudy for an advert and the girl who got the role was very extravert and really stood out in the audition but couldn't change the way she delivered the lines on the actual shoot day so they put dd in instead. DD is very attentive and reacts seamlessly to changes in direction (and retains it!), some children can not do that which doesn't come across on self tape.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Paluers ds loves performing in front of the camera but like Francescas mum says it's totally different doing a self tape, actors are used to being directed by casting directors and directors lots of actors hate to self tape I do not like the way you are trying to say Paulers that my ds should not be acting if he dose not like to self tape you know nothing about it self tape is completely deferent to a casting, ds has been called in after doing doing self tapes he dose not like to do them but dose his best so if it showed that he did not like doing them would not get called in and get recalls for the parts
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

For goodness sake. You post a question. You say he hates it. I suggest he practices.

In no way whatsoever did I say he shouldn't be acting if he doesn't like it. over the years you've been unpleasant and snappy to me quite a few times when I have attempted to be honest. Frankly, having you telling me what I think, and telling me I know nothing about it is a bit embarrassing. This is an Internet forum, we all hopefully join in for the right reasons, and sometimes we have to rely 100% on what you post. I did. You said he hates doing them. If he needs to keep doing them, then he needs to get more comfy with them. Is that wrong?

I have no idea how good he is. That doesn't change the problem. Loads of my professional friends also hate doing them, and the schools and colleges now often include them in what they do. To make people, more comfy.

There really is no need to constantly be so rude to me. Luckily, I've already formed my view of you, and I learned many years ago to never let that worry me. I hope your shoulder heals soon, from the excessive weight it obviously carries.

A few years ago I gave up on this forum because it was clear some people were good news only please. I'll take my leave now. best wishes to everyone, including irishdancer may your son have a wonderful career. Paul
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

Paulears, please don't leave the forum! I have valued the advice you and a couple of other people have shared and will miss it.
Your post have obviously been misunderstood and it will still helps others in a similar situation.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Paulears, please don't leave - many of us appreciate your informed views. Such a contrast to my own utterly uninformed attempts to help - or at least not hinder - my DS's choice of a world I know nothing about.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

wow- thanks guys - for the comments here and via private mails. Probably just straws and camels.

I've got some good friends here on NPM, and even those I know well, get straight talking from me (and me from them sometimes, too).

When I first joined, as one of the very few fellas, I did it because often the posts people were very passionate about were warped a little from the views of the people the other side of the curtain.

Video was something I did as a job for many years, and for three months I was even a news editor on a local station and I discovered that having cameras pointed at people produced very different results to sticking them on a stage. Perfectly great performers fell apart. I used to do a few of those awards ceremony videos - the ones where somebody can't be there, and their response was recorded for playing back on the big screens. I remember one well known face who got up to take 20 on a 45 second spot! He looked like a rabbit in the headlights - eyes all big and scared. Mouth moving without being connected to brain.

When I was a teacher doing performing arts in college, I always did a session on performing to camera and it was amazingly difficult for the students. Most of them, like Irishdancer's son, hated it - at first. The more we did, the more comfortable they became. Oddly, by the end, most no longer hated it - and the worst was just a bit of a mild dislike. Some, of course loved it. Probably why some younger ones make great kids TV presenters. I'm terrible on TV because I forget about the people watching, so tend to say things I shouldn't.

If Irishdancer's son hates it, then she needs to help him hate it less. Nothing to do with his talent, or looks or anything - he just needs to be more comfy. Video auditions are one way - no chance for the casting director to ask for the bit that's missing. It must be there, and some of the ones I occasionally see are cringeworthy, absolutely awful! I suspect many of these people (and mine are usually young adults fresh from college) have no idea how bad their video clips are, and instead of helping them get a job, totally blow their chances. Paul
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

If you leave Paulears
I'll hunt you down and force you back ! ;)
Seriously though , there are some fantastic , helpful intuitive people here , generous with advice and congratulations

And there there are the ones who don't fit any of the above mentioned nouns ... And frankly reading their posts are seconds of my life I can't get back, so I foe them and then I'm not bothered ..and I don't read their spiteful petty PM's either , just to hack them off even more \:D/
I have learned so much from your generous advice and I am grateful !
So I the words of KC and his Sunshine Band
"Please don't go "

RDF
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

No Paulears. Stay! Your posts are always valuable.

Irishdancer please don't take offence. We love you too!
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Well just to show that I don't even mind people taking the mickey out of me - here's a short clip of me putting my foot in it and answering questions I really shouldn't have. Have a laugh at my expense.https://vimeo.com/137472544