Pencilling

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Notaclue
BRIT Award

Pencilling

Post by Notaclue »

Hi there,
If a child gets pencilled, how many kids could get to that stage? What about a heavy pencil, does that mean that a child is their favourite or are there several heavy pencils for each project? Is it a race who licences first to get a confirmation?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks x
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Re: Pencilling

Post by bethjaneg »

Bane of my life these things!! DS2 has been pencilled 4 times recently and not one has been confirmed. I think it depends on the job but we usually get pencilled and then asked to recall. Each one has been different, couple of times only a few boys similar to him and other times a rooom full of different looks, etc... one Xmas tvc he was pencilled for they recalled about 5. 4 girls and my DS! It went to a girl so don't really know why they called him in. My take on it is it is the CD who selects those they think can do the job, pencils them in and then the client chooses who they want. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to them!
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

My dd was on pencilled for an advert which involved a family scene. At the final recall there were just three 'families' one blonde family (including dd), one brunette family and one mixed hair colour family. After all three families had been in, they sent the girl from the mixed hair colour home and asked dd to go in with that girl's 'family'. This looked very promising for dd. They sent everyone home but kept dd back and told us the casting director really liked her and we would hear the next day. Her agent rang whilst we were on the train home and told us she was on heavy pencil.
We saw the advert a month later with the brunette family!
Notaclue
BRIT Award

Post by Notaclue »

Thank you both so much for replying.
What frustrating scenarios, it must be terribly upsetting for the children pencilled. As parents, you must feel fed up, particularly with all the paper work involved. I had not realised that a child could be pencilled before a recall. Does a child ever get cast from one casting / audition or is there always a recall?
Am I right In thinking that several children could be pencilled say for an advertisement from your experience? Does a heavy pencil mean a favourite or could there be several of those too? Has the speed of returning licence papers anything to do with it?
Thank you again, I am trying to learn how things work.
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Post by bethjaneg »

Heavy pencil means it is more likely but still not guaranteed. We had one TVC where DS cast on the Thursday and was confirmed on the Monday so we either skipped the pencil stage or agent didn't tell us! In fairness they always do so I think it was straight to confirmed.

Our experience of TV pencil was different as they were the only ones recalled (both my DS's playing brothers) to meet the director and then put on pencil but we were also told the director wanted them, the roles, dates and licensing had begun so it was a fair certainty. It was still stressful waiting for production to confirm which took 3 more days. I'm not sure how normal that is I am sure there are lots of people on here with lots of experience who can advise.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Another thing you have to careful about is your dc is picked you go along and find out your dc is stand in, so annoying as most kids and parents tell family and friends about the advert the. Go along and find there stand in so have to go round and tell every one your dc is not in the advert after all
Notaclue
BRIT Award

Post by Notaclue »

Thank you so much everyone, there is so much to learn! You think they would be upfront if your child is a 'stand in' as opposed to have the role. Do they always have a 'stand in' say for a commercial?

One of you indicated that a handful of children could be 'pencilled. Anyone know how many children would typically be 'heavily pencilled'?

I naively thought that if you were pencilled, had production dates and licencing was underway that a confirmation was imminent. The whole process seems to be very stressful.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Yes it's not right they do not tel, you some times as they think that you might not let your child do it, one of my DS was filming an advert the other little girl knew that her dd was lead I knew my DS was lead. It was so not right the other 2 kids where not told they where stand in my DS and the other little girl went down to film the other children kept saying when are we going to be filmed even after lunch they did not know, when they found out the parents where nasty to me not my fault that my DS was picked the production company should be up front from the start. Some times you are told but would advise if your child is told they got the part just get your agent to phone up and say is it lead or stand in then you know for sure before you get there and can prepare your child for what is going to happen.
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

Even worse (for the other person) is when your child is picked as the stand in from the casting and another child is told they are the lead but then when the director meets the two kids switches it around so that the other child is the stand in!! Thats what happened with an advert my daughter was in i didnt know whether to feel happy or guilty about the other child!! X
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

Hi think stand ins are very common ŵith young kids say under 6 and with any commercial filming overseas? You can understand why, and also why they don't say - as parent might not take them. It's a grim process commercials...

With pencils I think there can be 3-4 for a role and client gets a choice from there, and to allow for licensing issues. Then there might be a reserve/stand in until last moment. Have learnt to be very laid back about these now and not cancel anything!
Notaclue
BRIT Award

Post by Notaclue »

Thank you so much for your feedback, I am very grateful for it. What a frustrating and stressful process! ](*,)
I never realised that stand ins were so common. It must be heartbreaking to find this out at the last minute or worse, get the lead, and then have it taken from you on set.
I am feeling very disillusioned with it all. We have had some recalls where there were more kids there than at the original casting / audition. Is this normal? I sadly thought that if we got a pencil / heavy pencil, we would be moving forward.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first thing to remember in this industry is children in commercials are commodities. Its not that anyone is setting out to be either hurtful or unkind its just the truth of the business.

Also every job is different however commercials are most like a cattle call. Recalls with more children than before is because although you have been recalled they are still keeping their options open. A heavy pencil means they really like your child but they tend not to confirm until the licence is in place as once confirmed its costs them money if they change their minds or something happens.

Given the costs of shooting a commercial stand-ins are very common with younger children you never know how they will be on the day and a production cant afford to run into beyond what they have budgeted for. You should be told but yes they do sometimes swop them over. It should only be an issue if you handle it badly with the child. It does of course have financial implications and sometimes that is unfortunately why people get very upset.
This business however is brutal and if its not something either the child or parent feels they can go with stop and just enjoy performing through amateur groups and clubs. The last thing you want to do is give a child a feeling of poor self esteem. Also remember often its nothing more than the client changes their mind (They are paying the bills).

However despite all the downsides there are many , many good ones too and the memories you make together will endure long after they are grown up and moved on with their lives. Also you will always have a few embarrassing photos, videos etc of their early work to bring out for weddings and other big family occasions (lol)
Hope Never Dies....
Notaclue
BRIT Award

Post by Notaclue »

Thank you Admin for replying,

Yes, you are of course right, it is best to keep things in proportion :)

Life is not straight forward, there are highs and lows. I suppose this process teaches that but as a parent I still like to know the rules of the game!

Thanks everyone x
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

x-sugarplumfairy-x, that's what happened to my dd except the other way round, she went as the stand-in and got swapped to the main girl! So it works both ways, sometimes to your advantage, sometimes not.