Self tapes

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

showbiz
BRIT Award

Self tapes

Post by showbiz »

Just wanting some advice! When your kids are doing self-tapes and it requires a specific accent, for example American, should they do their slate at the start in an American accent or their own. Should they make it seem like it’s their own accent? It sounds like a very little thing but just wandering what is best!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: Self tapes

Post by missmoneypenny »

My kids always do the slate in their own accent - not sure if that helps :)
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Yes us too, we always do slate in normal voice.
showbiz
BRIT Award

Post by showbiz »

Thank you! Yes that helps, we’ve always done that but recently someone mentioned about it being done in the accent required! Strange!
Brighterthanstars
BRIT Award

Post by Brighterthanstars »

My agent always tells me to be doing the accent all the way through an audition, which I know a lot of people do, so I guess you could apply that to self tapes too. It might stop them from over-analysing your accent?
If you think that you're too small to make an impact, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.
showbiz
BRIT Award

Post by showbiz »

Yes that’s why we thought it’d be good to do it all in the accent required because they might be more judgmental on the accent if you slate in your own accent!
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Exceedingly good point - had never looked at it that way!
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Hope it's ok to jump in! New to all this. What is the slate everyone is referring to? Thanks
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Slate is usually just name, age and details of agent. Plus anything else the self tape asked for with regards to personal details.
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Do they usually just say it or actually hold something up as well? Sorry if it's a silly question
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Hi Adrianna1312, you normally say it, usually name, age, height and who you are reading for and normally you get a full length shot of them then zoom in, sometimes they like you to stand sideways and show both sides as well as front. Always read the instructions very carefully as they all tend to be slightly different. The agent should send you the instructions along with the sides [script] to read.
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Thank you ScoobyDoo. We've just fine our first self tape last week, clearly not to the usual standard! DS doesn't have an agent yet but hopefully of he gets one we will have more guidance
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Well until you get an agent, this group are super at helping out, we all understand how hard it can be and there are some really lovely and experienced people here. Best of luck. x
Zoeharvey1
BRIT Award

Post by Zoeharvey1 »

ScoobyDoo wrote:Hi Adrianna1312, you normally say it, usually name, age, height and who you are reading for and normally you get a full length shot of them then zoom in, sometimes they like you to stand sideways and show both sides as well as front. Always read the instructions very carefully as they all tend to be slightly different. The agent should send you the instructions along with the sides [script] to read.
Good advice about getting a full length shot for the slate. Never been told to do that before but makes sense. Thanks.
SammyAri
Nominee

Post by SammyAri »

I just wanted to ask, if you done a selftape that was good quality (visual and sound wise) and the audition scene is approved by an acting teacher, is it a bad sign if it is only watched once by the casting office/team?