National Youth Music Theatre And StageBox

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

barmby1234
BRIT Award

National Youth Music Theatre And StageBox

Post by barmby1234 »

Would anyone be able to tell me the difference between NYMT and Stagebox. Many Thanks
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: National Youth Music Theatre And StageBox

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I don't know very much about Stagebox but I think they're quite different. My understanding is that Stagebox is high quality regular MT training sessions. You audition, and if accepted you commit to regular training throughout termtime and are placed in a group according to the level you are performing at. They have their own agency and often place kids in professional shows. I believe they are also doing some holiday time intensives now for kids who live too far away to make a weekly commitment.
NYMT doesn't operate in termtime. They audition once a year (Jan and Feb) and if accepted you are placed in a particular production, for that year only. You may do an Easter and/or summer residential and you then perform in a full-scale production, with top quality directors, choreographers, MDs, designers etc. It doesn't deal with kids below the age of 10 because you have to be willing to live away from home but it's incredibly high quality and DS has had the time of his life twice now. He's met amazing people, learnt so much and been in two utterly spectacular productions. People like Sheridan Smith, Jude Law, Idris Elba etc all trained with NYMT. (Oh and Michael Jibson, currently getting rave reviews as King George in Hamilton!).

Hope that helps. Am happy to answer any Qs you might have about NYMT, and I'm sure someone else will be able to fill you in on Stagebox.
Theatre
BRIT Award

Post by Theatre »

Hi my DD has an audition for YMT after researching I have found NYMT and was wondering if you know which of three two would be best? Thanks
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

They're both good! Similar but not the same. Why not audition for both and see what happens!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

I agree! The auditions themselves are valuable experience!
Aplo
Nominee

Post by Aplo »

Nymt and stagebox are quite different but according to my DD age 13 equally amazing. Nymt is all about the show so you audition and if recalled it will be for a particular show (or shows) and then hopefully cast in one, all rehearsals are working towards the show.
Stagebox is training based, my DD joined the London development team last October and will train with them four times over the year for 3/4 days of intensive training. The days were from 10-5 each day and divided into acting/ singing and dancing and they worked with a number of industry professionals over the three days. The London elite team had an extra day where they recorded a video at the end. Manchester and Leeds teams are slightly different in that they run on a weekly basis as the children involved are more locally based but the training is similar with all three. Dd says that the standard of dance in stagebox is higher than NYMT but singing/ acting levels would be similar. I asked DD which she would choose if she could only do one and she begged me not to make her choose.
For the stagebox audition she didn't have to prepare anything whereas for NyMt you choose a song in advance. Any other questions just ask and I'll help if I can.
Totallyclueless
GRAMMY Award

Post by Totallyclueless »

I don't know much about NYMT but i know some of my friends did it when they were younger and said it was amazing. Especially for older kids who are out of the casting age bracket