Jobs outside of London

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

newbie82
Nominee

Jobs outside of London

Post by newbie82 »

Hi all

I wondered if you could possibly help me and pass on some of your wisdom!

I live on the South Coast in Portsmouth which is approx 75 miles / 1hr30 - 2hrs from London. Realistically how many castings/auditions would my child be offered based on where we live? Obviously I know nothing is guaranteed but from a location point of view are we completely a no go with West End and touring productions? I know most state a 'commutable' distance but how far is commutable?

Is there more flexibility in location with TV/Film castings? How many of these come up in comparison to theatre roles?

I don't want to sign up with an agency or Spotlight if it really is a lost cause because of where we live. I don't want to get my childs hopes up to find that we never get put forward for anything because they know we'll automatically be rejected based on our location.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? I'm guessing not everyone on here lives in big cities!

Thanks in advance
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: Jobs outside of London

Post by ACookie »

Your location is only important for theatre productions and there are some, for example Matilda tour and School of Rock who will also consider from outside a commutable area as they house. TV and film is made all over UK and abroad so it won't matter where you live if your child gets cast. You just have to realistically be able to get them to where they need to be. Commercial castings are more often than not in London and you need to be available at 24 hours notice. You usually get a bit more notice for TV/film castings in our experience. Some agents are very open to discussing what will work for you and then make their submissions based on that, others will expect you to be available for everything they want if you sign with them. Don't jump on the first agency offer, make sure you think you are all on the same page!
paddyleo
Nominee

Post by paddyleo »

We live in dorset and over the last two years my d has worked seven times but all in London on films. It’s hard work getting them there but worth it. Spotlight requires very little notice and as working parents we have just gone with her being an extra at the moment. Hopefully that helps answer your question.
newbie82
Nominee

Post by newbie82 »

Thanks paddyleo :)

Is Spotlight the best place to find film and tv auditions or are there other websites? Does Spotlight really get many more than say, Mandy Kids? I understand that with Spotlight you have to have an agent so maybe I hold off doing that for a while and just see how many auditions out there that we could feasibly apply for and then reevaluate in a few months.
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

If you search for Spotlight in this forum you will find lots of information about it, I only say this because it has been discussed quite a bit recently. Spotlight is the industry standard and is what the Casting Directors and Agents use, Mandy and Starnow are very watered down versions of it. You personally will not be able to see Spotlight, only your child's agent will.
paddyleo
Nominee

Post by paddyleo »

We have an agent Sally King casting and we are not registered on spotlight as the notice is too short for me to get time off work. Hope that helps.
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

newbie82 wrote:Thanks paddyleo :)

Is Spotlight the best place to find film and tv auditions or are there other websites? Does Spotlight really get many more than say, Mandy Kids? I understand that with Spotlight you have to have an agent so maybe I hold off doing that for a while and just see how many auditions out there that we could feasibly apply for and then reevaluate in a few months.
Hi, Spotlight gets loads more than Mandy/Starnow. Spotlight tend to be all the higher paid/bigger jobs eg films, tv series, adverts, theatre etc. I find Mandy/Starnow tend to be more lower budget/expenses only jobs but they do get some decent jobs too- my daughter has just been pencilled for a feature film through Mandy and irs great for building up experience so id say it is worth joining but I wouldnt do it instead of Spotlight.
xx
newbie82
Nominee

Post by newbie82 »

Thanks all for the feedback.

Looks like Spotlight is the way to go and reading on here there may be opportunities for touring shows just highly unlikely it would be London.

I suppose the concern is how last minute the notice is for auditions and whether we could feasibly get there in time. Aggh I think this is more stressful for me than her lol!