Audition tips????

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

sarah365
Nominee

Audition tips????

Post by sarah365 »

Hi I'm 16 - so not a mum lol.
I have an audition and it says that I should first send a video just introducing yourself.
I know it sounds strange but do you have any tips? What would be your do's and don'ts?
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Re: Audition tips????

Post by FredaBloggs »

Hi sarah365, it's hard to be certain of what to say in the video, but I can give some advice on the basics of self-taping.

A video taken on a phone or tablet is fine, but make sure you film in landscape orientation rather than portrait. This is so that your video's frame is the right shape for the casting director to view on a computer or laptop (if you film in portrait, your video can stretch sideways when viewed on a computer - never a good look!)

Film against a plain, pale background, like a blank wall. Plenty of natural light works best, but avoid filming with a window behind you, or with lighting that creates a lot of shadow on one side of your face.

When introducing yourself in a self-tape, it is fine to look straight into the camera. If you are filming a monologue or scene, it is best to look just to one side of the lens, as if you are talking to someone standing next to the camera.

Unless you have been asked for a full-body shot, frame your video on your head and shoulders. Wear plain clothing that doesn't distract attention from your face - the usual advice is avoid stripes because they "jump" on camera.

If the brief gives no advice on what to say when introducing yourself, I would suggest something like name, age, where you live (roughly, e.g. "St. Albans"), height and agent's name. If the role you're auditioning for requires any specific skills, you could mention these too.

Good luck with your audition!