Ken Campbell - The Great Caper

A place to review Radio plays, Audio Books etc.

Moderator: busybusybusy

bcnups
GRAMMY Award

Ken Campbell - The Great Caper

Post by bcnups »

I do hope I'm not the only one listening to Book of the week, Ken Campbell - the Great Caper". To my everlasting shame, I didn't know anything about the actor/producer/director (who died some years back) before this gem of an audio book. What a glorious eccentric character he has turned out to be. I laughed out loud at his antics this morning, and I'm only into the third daily instalment. Unfortunately Radio Four doesn't seem to feature much on this website, but you don't know what you're missing! Its on at 9.45a.m. and repeated late at night 12.30
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Re: Ken Campbell - The Great Caper

Post by igloobabe »

Wasn't Ken Campbell in that painful episode of Fawlty Towers when Sybil walks out on their wedding anniversary and Basil pretends Polly is Sybil? He was the bloke that comes to visit and keeps asking all the awkward questions basil doesn't want to hear! He also did a science programme a feww years ago that my dh was very keen on.
bcnups
GRAMMY Award

Post by bcnups »

Thankyou Igloobabe. How wonderful, then I have seen him. I feel so much better now. To have missed such a creative maverick would have been a great loss indeed. The recollections of Bob Hoskins, Jim Broadbent, Bill Nighy (pronounced Niffey by Ken) and poor John Sessions - doing miserable standup at Greenham Common, have been a real delight. To produce eight hour long shows based on the Illuminatus, and later a marathon twentyfour hour production of The Warp at the Everyman in Liverpool shows a serious degree of staying power of the whole cast, and the level of inspiration. And yet its so very funny! Out of all this chaos has come a marvellous theatrical education and I envy them all.
igloobabe
OSCAR Award

Post by igloobabe »

Glad to be of service! I wonder if you can get this on a cd as my dh would LOVE it for his birthday!