Making the right decision at YR8?????

Give us your Feedback and Ideas on Anything!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Re: Making the right decision at YR8?????

Post by Kitschqueen »

There are some really interesting points on here and at the end of the day what suits one child won't be right for another. As parents we are the experts on our own children but are constantly plagued by self-doubt and wanting to make the right decision.

I live in an area where the 11 plus is still offered with a choice of two grammar schools if successful. One is completely academic with the sole emphasis on exam results, the other is far more interested in the young person as a whole and outside interests are encouraged and supported.

My youngest dd did pass her 11 plus and we chose the second.

They have been incredibly supportive whenever she has needed time off for auditions and rehearsals and consider it as being educated off site.

My eldest dd went to our local comp and did extremely well but she is focussed and self-motivated and her year group were of a similar ilk.

My youngest dd, whilst incredibly clever is lazy and does the minimum she needs to do to get the results she needs!! I felt she would be too easily distracted in larger classes with mixed ability children.

Yes, she did go from being one of the cleverest in her primary school to average at the grammer school but tbh she didn't push herself to improve her position which she could have done!

Anyway somehow she managed to get 11 GCSE's this summer so I guess it was the right decision for her.

My advice would be to visit all the schools on offer to get a feel for, not just for the academic successes but their attitudes to outside activities and also pastoral care.

Good luck to anyone making this decision over the next year :D