X factor 2011

Moderator: busybusybusy

Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: X factor 2011

Post by Flosmom »

Nicola wrote: You've just got to ask what the point was in starting with 16, and getting the hopes up of the 4 acts if they weren't even going to get the chance to perform for the public vote? An unnecessary and unpleasant twist, I thought in the end.
How many hopefuls have experience of turning up for a callback only to be turned down for a reason that was clear in the first audition? A colleague of mine tells of a time when he was called back three times for a West End role, only to be told that he was too short. Well, he sure hadn't shrunk at all in between!

So maybe the unpleasant twist might alert some of those watching, who might otherwise think that success and celebrity is easy, that if they want to get involved in auditioning they have to be very very strong to cope with the reality (brutality?) of an industry that can afford to be demanding, because it is definitely a buyer's market.

Deb x
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

Last nights result was very predictable wasn't it - The only acts I really enjoyed were The Risk and Misha B. Other than them, they're all rather mediocre. ;)
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

I agree - in fact there were more than a couple of them who were signing out of tune and out of time. Incredibly disappointing - and poor old Frankie really needs to be let go - his syncopation and tuning were toe-curlingly awful.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Some dancer friends of mine have friends dancing in X-factor and this year they're finding it a little awkward and embarrassing because some of the contestants are simply hopeless in rehearsals and can't do the most basic things - and the choreographer has to downgrade the entire number so as not to show up the 'stars' - meaning for the dancers, it gets awkward - and they get teased by their friends for being rubbish too!
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Does anyone think that the genuinely talented people have stopped applying for this because they realise what a farce it is, hence the bunch they've ended up with this year. I mean, I just don't believe that this group are the best that the UK has to offer. I know personally of at least 1 female singer (friend of DS's) that would blow them all out of the water, but after applying once for BGT and getting nowhere, she never tried again.

I'm trying to persuade her to apply for "the voice" but I fear that these shows have developed themselves a reputation.
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

Must admit struggling to enjoy the show this year,think the music is too load can't hear singers except for belters and hate that type of singer anyway-maybe the programme has had its day. #-o
xebonykissesx
GRAMMY Award

Post by xebonykissesx »

To be honest, im actally quite enjoying it, although im not sure if im only enjoying for it's entertainment value. I have to agree that the talent isn't amazing, but im growing to like quite a lot of them to be honest :)
*The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Stand your ground for freedom, beauty, truth, and love.* - Moulin Rouge
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

I didn't think many of the songs were at all related to Halloween last night, - I liked Frankie for the first time last night, and Marcus just gets better each week !

Interesting that they'd only just realised that the girl band had been given a name by an established music charity - I blame the researchers ! and they're now called 'Little Mix', not very strong name to be fair !! and I couldn't understand what the fuss was about, I thought their song last night was rubbish !!! .
What a pity that The Risk decided to do a Jackson song, bad choice, and I didn't think they sung it that well either (they'll stay in though because they've had to contend with a new band member!).

I think the bottom 2 could be Frankie and Johnny, but i think it should be Janet and Sophie - I thought Janet's rendition of the Police song was weak, and I didn't like the song choice that Sophie was given, not her fault of course. Are people losing interest ?
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Still loving Johnny, still don't get what all the fuss is about Janet - perhaps she's just not my cup of tea.

Deb x
Northernkids
GRAMMY Award

Post by Northernkids »

I thought the worse one this week was Janet but by her face she new it was awful. :( It was just so out of tune. :-({|= I do think a lot of talented singers do not apply for fear of it harming them. :roll: I know my Son was called up by the researchers and said no he was not applying. He is now at the Royal College of Music training to be a classical Tenor. The show is OK but it has lost a lot of its appeal to me.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Nicola wrote:Does anyone think that the genuinely talented people have stopped applying for this because they realise what a farce it is, hence the bunch they've ended up with this year. I mean, I just don't believe that this group are the best that the UK has to offer. I know personally of at least 1 female singer (friend of DS's) that would blow them all out of the water, but after applying once for BGT and getting nowhere, she never tried again.

I'm trying to persuade her to apply for "the voice" but I fear that these shows have developed themselves a reputation.
I agree, my DDs friend has an amazing voice, got to boot camp last year but had no sob story and had to see inferior singers go through. Hoping she will apply to the Voice as she is amazing and deserves something, but X Factor is no longer credible I think.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

I think Janet should have been in bottom two - and she should have gone this week - I think the pressure's starting to show, she's so young ! She said she has some tricks up her sleeve, and might do something with a guitar next week, but on one of the Xtra Factors she said she couldn't really play the guitar but wanted to learn :shock:

I think Talisa's (?) comments last week damaged Micha, and I thought what she said was unprofessional, unnecessary and it clearly had an effect on people voting for her this week. Micha is not coming across particularly likeable anyway - which could be her downfall. I'm also glad to see Johnny still in - looking forward to see what he'll do next ! (even though he seriously can't possibly win!).
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

loving Marcus..consistant and different every week.....also quite like the girl band Little Mix...x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
mogs
BAFTA Award

Post by mogs »

I love little mix and there is cxertainly a gap in the market for them. I think Tulisa is doing a great job with them-it's nice to see a girl band who loook like normal teenagers and not as if they're in training to be footballers wives! :lol:
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

it's nice to see a girl band who loook like normal teenagers and not as if they're in training to be footballers wives!
Absolutely agree - or in training to be pole-dancers!! Of course the cynic in me thinks this is exactly what they were hoping we'd think, and therefore we're doing exactly what they want by taking it like that!!