First Pointe shoes

Moderator: busybusybusy

beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Re: First Pointe shoes

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi anjuli_Bai
Dd wouldn't listen to me, she was spellbound by those beautiful pointe shoes! She has held them, cuddled them, taken photos of them and took them to bed with her and unfortunately she was doing more in them than she should have. I don't even think that she could hear me telling her to take them off. Rembering that I am the adult I have now confiscated them as it is the only way I can stop her putting them on! I am unable to return them to the shop as they're a bit grubby but thats not my worry, its the damage she could do to herself that is my main priority. I should never have got them with so long to go till her next ballet lesson....I just got swept away with it all. Her ballet teacher is comming over tomorrow, then they'll be back away until her next ballet lesson. xxx
Overspent
Nominee

Post by Overspent »

Well you won't need to put them away until ballet starts as they will need breaking in, which can be done over the holidays. :) BUT Anjuli is right about not going up en pointe in them, I had to threaten my DD not to do so on pain of death!

Once the teacher has approved them, then you can sew the ribbons on and then your DD will need to wear the shoes around the house (don't let her go up and down the stairs in them though, it's scarily easy to slip). My DD's teacher suggests wearing a thick pair of slipper socks over the top of the shoes, to keep them clean but to warm them which helps mould them to the foot.

Then she advises walking round the house in them and also doing rises, working gently through quarter, Demi and three quarter pointe but NOT up onto full pointe. Your DD's teacher will tell you what else is ok for breaking in. I know it's going to be soooo tempting for her to go up on pointe but you know it is a no-no! :shock: :) I only let my DD wear hers under strict supervision. :)
Anjuli_Bai
Nominee

Post by Anjuli_Bai »

Your teacher will show you where to sew on the ribbons - which is quite an individual thing for each dancer's foot.

Wearing them around the house is a good way but how they are broken in also depends upon the what the teacher thinks is correct. Wearing them around the house works for some - others have different methods. Talk to the teacher about what she prefers and thinks is appropriate for your daughter. I used to mold them in my hands and then hammer the vamps - but that is an individual thing. And some teachers want to supervise everything - even breaking them in.

Some shoes/feet need elastics as well as ribbons. And - there are many ways to sew the ribbons on and many ways to sew on elastics if they are needed. The teacher can also suggest what kind of toe protection to use. I always preferred lamb's wool - but there are many choices and some of it depends upon the individual foot.

Going onto pointe is like a whole new world. The student should be prepared to feel very awkward at first - like learning to dance all over again - the balance is different.

Overspent is correct - avoid the stairs - definitely! :)
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi there
Dd's ballet teacher came over and approved! Says they are a lovely fit and showed her some excercises to do at the barre. Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated. :D xxx
Overspent
Nominee

Post by Overspent »

Great news! :) =D>
Anjuli_Bai
Nominee

Post by Anjuli_Bai »

Good to hear this.....it also sounds like you have a dedicated teacher.