Dance Lessons

Moderator: busybusybusy

Sparkledustypink
BRIT Award

Dance Lessons

Post by Sparkledustypink »

My DD has weekly dance lessons at a local dance school(1 hour of Ballet/1 hour of Tap)a week she has had some proffesional training as she is currently in a westend show
She now finds the lessons aren`t challenging enough for her
I would like to find some classes in London for her but don`t know where to start
She has never done grades but we have been told she is at least grade 4/5 in tap and 3/4 in Ballet
x x x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dance Lessons

Post by 2dancersmum »

I don't know your area so I can't reccommend any particular dance school. However, if you are looking for some structure to her dance learning and her getting some exams done your best bet might be to look at the websites to find registered teachers near you. RAD ( Royal Academy of Dance) do ballet and you can certainly search for a local teacher on their site. I.D.T.A (International Dance Teachers Association) do ballet and tap. Those two have some sort of affiliation and a dance school often offers exams in both syllabi. Another one I know of but have no experience of is ISTDA (don't know what it stands for) and I believe they also do lots of dance styles. Another possbility if you have no joy on this site would be to go on balletcoforum and see if anyone there can help.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

ISTD=Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance http://www.istd.org/home/

They cover lots of different dances, very well respected and a high standard - at least in the Ballroom & Latin which I know about; but DD is doing Ballet Tap & Modern with them too
HardyL
Nominee

Post by HardyL »

i am jealous of people who can dance :)
i never could, i am too clumsy ](*,)
even taking lessons is embarrassing for me :oops:
i dance only when i am home alone \:D/

Post by Kitschqueen »

Hi Sparkledustypink, congrats to your talented DD for her part in a west end show :)
Others have mentioned how to find registered teachers in your area; the RAD and IDTA are affiliated so teachers will often offer syllabuses in both.
I do not know how old your DD is but if she is over 13 and interested in contemporary dance then there are two Centre for Advanced Training (CAT) schemes at Trinity Laban and The Place, in London. Look on the website www.nationaldancecats for more details as they have them all over the country. Entry to the scheme is by audition only, but they are government funded and means tested so in some cases you pay nothing for the training! My DD is in the first year of the scheme at the Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds and I would highly recommend it. She studies with them for 8 hours per week, taking classes in contemporary technique and fitness, creative choreography and complimentary styles such as pilates and ballet. There are intensive weeks in the holidays and weekends where they study a variety of dance styles with well known choreographers, learn about nutrition and injury prevention and there are trips to the theatre to see professional contemporary companies. As they progress through the scheme there are opportunities to dance with professional companies, take part in audition workshops and they are fully prepared to apply for full time vocational dance training. My DD loves being part of the scheme and enjoys being with other talented young people who are as interested in dance as she is. She continues to study ballet and tap alongside the scheme at her local dance school.
Your DD may be too young for the scheme at present but maybe it is something to consider in the future.
Hope she continues to enjoy her dancing. :)
Rachel
Sparkledustypink
BRIT Award

Thank you Rachel

She is not 13 yet but she is was interested in this when i showed her
Its something i will look into
And congratulations to your dd thats a huge achievment

xxxxxxxxxxxx
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

you need to put .co.uk on the end of the link kitchqueen put on to get to their web page. :D
Sparkledustypink
BRIT Award

Thank you Francescasmum :D x
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Oops sorry for the incorrect e-mail address everyone and thanks for correcting it Francescasmum! :)
Glad you and your daughter found my info useful Sparkledustypink
Happy dancing everyone
Rachel
bscott
Nominee

Post by bscott »

Hey there..!! Nice stuff..!! Thank you for sharing it with us.