Street dance competitions

Moderator: busybusybusy

Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Street dance competitions

Post by Jeanie »

Anyone have experience of them or know what the judges are looking for?

I imagine the most important thing is musicality and dancing to the beat. However, there are so many styles within street dance: locking, breaking, popping etc - should a contestant be 'throwing' some of these moves?

My DD (age 7) is through to the IDTA Nationals Under 9 solos. She's commercial Street and has an easy flow to her dancing. However, her tricks are beginner level. Should she be aiming for an air freeze or worm or stay on her feet? I'm sure the level will be high - "Akai" standard (though boys and girls are in different streams).

Thanks
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Re: Street dance competitions

Post by francescasmum »

Sorry don't know anything about boddy popping, unless you count my knees popping out of joint on a regular basis, then I suppose I am an expert. Anyway well done to you DD, excellent at such a young age, if she has got to this level doing what she is comfortable doing then she is obviously doing it right! =D>
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

You might be better popping over to dance.net, there is a section on street competitions and usually people are forthcoming with advice :D
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

Thanks ladies, I'll pop over to dance net and will have a mooch there. I suspect your right, leave her to get on with what comes natural and let her enjoy the experience. Sometimes, I overthink these things!
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

wow congratulations to her :)
DancerBoy
BRIT Award

Post by DancerBoy »

Hi Jeanie,

I have a DS, that is a street dancer. He is very good and has won almost all of his competitions and heats. If you are still on this forum, PM me and I will give you some more advice. :) :) \:D/ \:D/
DancerBoy
BRIT Award

Post by DancerBoy »

Hi Jeanie,

I hope my advice helped. How did it go? Would love to know.

xxx :D :D
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

Hi DancerBoy

I haven't received your message. I've just sent you another PM and my message is stuck in the outbox and has not sent. Please retry as I'd love some advice! The competition is 11th March in Stoke.

Thanks very much

Best wishes
Jeanie
DancerBoy
BRIT Award

Post by DancerBoy »

Sorry Jeanie,

I have resent it for you!! I thought I knew what I was going!! #-o #-o

xxx
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

Hi Dancerboy,

I dunno what's going on with my inbox... I still haven't received your message. Would you mind posting the message here?

Thanks so much!

Jeanie x
DancerBoy
BRIT Award

Post by DancerBoy »

Hi Jeanie,

I am sorry I took so long getting back to you, but we went to see Matilda the Musical in London last night, so very tired and got in very late!

I am proud of him, but sometimes it is hard as he can not keep still and is constantly dancing.

My son is 10, but I would not say that boys and girls are too different as some of the girls I have seen are just as good, if not better. My tip would be, make sure she wears something that is comtfortable and that she can dance in. Loose clothing. Nothing that you can see anything, you would not want her showing. If she does head stands, then use a safety pin and pin the top in a V shape to her bottoms. Hair in a easy style. Street style is what you make it!!

Girls do an dance called 'Wacking', that offten looks good, but if she can do some breakdancing or even House moves, tell her to do so. Is this a freestyle or routine? If routine, then she will need to keep on doing it over and over until the music stops. If freestyle then she should just do what she is good at. Tell her not to try anything new that she has not done before, just in case it goes wrong. Listen to the music, but do not sing along. This is not professional (apparently!!)

It is hard to tell what the judges are looking for. She should do those mean fierce faces that they do, and do not rush to the front, as the judges should walk around to have a look at the dancers. Most do not like this also. One tip I tell my son is to go and 'Do your thing and have a good time!'

Also if your daughter is a member of a dance group, this helps as then she can learn new moves, but it is good to have her go to two different types of dance i.e, Street and say break dancing. This way she will have a broader range in her street dance.

I hope this all helps, and tell her good luck. Let me know how she gets on.

My son has a competition on Sunday, that is if we do not get snowed in.

xxx
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

Thanks Dancerboy - very helpful!

I'll pm you over the weekend with a couple of questions.

My DD was very impressed when I said your DS was in Matilda. She saw it a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if he was the small boy with the big ears or the one who had to eat the cake or one of the othes kids in the class?! What a great experience =D> =D>

Jeanie
DancerBoy
BRIT Award

Post by DancerBoy »

Hi Jeanie,

Glad it helped.

My DS has not started his performance yet, as he is in rehearsals. He will be playing the part of Nigel. Yes it is a great experience for him, and for all the children who have been given the chance.

Look out for your message. :) :)

Take care!

xxx