OSCAR Award

Dancing is too expensive

Post by Katymac »

The lessons
The shoes
The shows
The Exams

& right now the damn ballroom & latin dresses

I have spent a fortune on them; so much so I have had to put all her Juvenile dresses on eBay to try & make up the cost

An absolute fortune!!! (can you tell I'm cross - I just added it all up, I should never do that)
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dancing is too expensive

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Oh no, big mistake doing all the sums! I once made a spread sheet with all dance eclasses, private lessons, shoes, costumes etc etc on.....I'm still shocked :shock:
I had to delete it in the end....or I'd go mad as well as bankrupt! ;)
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

It's a really good excercise to do if you are trying to decide if you can afford to sent dc to full time drama school. I added up drama, dance, singing and music lesson each week (including transport costs) and it was nearly the same as SY. Then there are the long hauls to auditions and your own time taken! It works out far cheaper to send dd to somewhere like SY where it is all included in the price!
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

TotallycluelessMum wrote:Oh no, big mistake doing all the sums!
:lol:
Certainly agree with this and it can be applied to any form of dance.
I rationalise the spending by thinking of the positive benefits dancing has for my daughter.
She's healthy, fit, motivated and has something that she is talented at to promote her self esteem. At 15 years of age, I know where she is and who she is with and because she wants to dance as a career she has not been drawn into smoking, drinking etc like many of her peers.
My pride when watching her dance always offsets my horror at my ever increasing overdraft! :lol:
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I think you're right Kitschqueen; but I won't make the mistake of adding it up again (at least I'll try not to)
suzysue
BRIT Award

Post by suzysue »

definitely!! I don't like thinking what else we could be spending the money on. :shock:
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

I have a quiet chuckle when my DD asks why I always wear the same clothes! :lol:
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I have 4 dresses in various states of completion (or not) atm, including a large swansdown (or is it maribou) trimmed monstrosity hanging in the corner of the room

<sigh>

& they all cost a fortune
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Gosh Katymac, do you make your DD's dresses yourself? I'm very impressed! =D>
I've got a variety of freestyle costumes, tutus etc gathering dust under my bed. I really need to get them on e-bay and try to get some money back.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I, erm, refurbish mainly........and a bit of adaptation

I just put 6 dresses on eBay - 4 juvenile & 2 junior (DD grew out of them before she was old enough to wear them - sigh)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I also have freestyle boys costumes but fashion has moved on and no-one wants them - I have soaked off the stones and will use them again at some point in the future.....
also , not saving money - but DS had a fantastic pairs costume - it belonged originally to Emily Crow and partner years ago and we bought it.
it was so sweet and unusual that I had it box - framed to keep, I couldn't have parted with it.

The expense is crazy I agree, DS only does the odd feis and needs just a waistcoat, I refuse to get embroiled in all that competition stuff again. His heavy shoes if I cannot get them 2nd hand are £100, plus ballet, tap and reel shoes (which double for character)
all the money on lessons and performing arts....OMG, luckily he got a scholarship this year for performing arts.We have luckily been given a grant to cover half of his NYMT fee.
However we added up the sums and it is still alot cheaper to keep him as he is, than to send him to SY as even with everything added, petrol and so on, it is still less that the £250 a week that would cost us, not even costing in travel to that amount, that on top it was 350 per week !
ERGO we had to turn the offer down, but I am still doing the lottery.... [-o< [-o<
and who knows what opportunities are around the corner? ;)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

As someone once commented 'my girls wear designer dance costumes - I wear Primark' !!
And I have two of them doing freestyle, ballet and jazz ! Can you imagine ?
I also have freestyle boys costumes but fashion has moved on and no-one wants them
Did you not watch 'Gypsy Wedding' last night ? :o Theres always a market ;)

Funny you should mention it as I was talking to Emily Crow at Move It - we only ever seem to meet up there nowadays and she is still as lovely as ever. My girls adore her and she's a wonderful role model from the freestyle world.

Back on topic - I am not adding things up for fear of fainting ! Or being handed divorce papers !
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jeanie »

And don't forget the competitions. We were up in Stoke a couple of weeks ago for the Nationals Street Dance and now have a Freestyle comp coming up... costumes, nights in a hotel, extra lessons, petrol, eating out!!

But it is tremendous fun and such a joy to watch!
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

DanceDiva wrote: And I have two of them doing freestyle, ballet and jazz ! Can you imagine ?
No, I cannot imagine the cost of having to fund 2 dancing children, one is difficult enough.
Like Riverdancefan I keep buying those lottery tickets! :lol:
I applaud every parent though for the unwavering support (financial, physical and emotional) that is given to the NAPM talented bunch =D>
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Kitschqueen wrote: No, I cannot imagine the cost of having to fund 2 dancing children, one is difficult enough.
But you manage dont you ?
We've all been there, thought we couldnt afford it and then you think of all the benefits your DD or DS gets from whatever it is you are questioning.
Doesnt matter if its one child, two or twenty two.....you find a way and I've thankfully yet to make a decision and decide it was a waste of money !

We might give unwaivering support but we're a resourceful bunch as well and if Auntie Maud's prize pottery and frankly hideous horse has to go then so be it !!