CAT Auditions at The Place, London

Moderator: busybusybusy

Livy2
GRAMMY Award

CAT Auditions at The Place, London

Post by Livy2 »

Hi,

Is anyone else going to the Audition on 18 April? Or can anyone who's been before or been accepted at the Place, give my DD some advice? She's 14.

Thanks
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Re: CAT Auditions at The Place, London

Post by Kitschqueen »

Hi, firstly good luck to your DD for the 18th.

I have no first hand experience of The Place auditions but my DD successfully auditioned for a CAT place at Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds last year. I do not know how different (or similar) the audition processes are but this was her experience, I hope you find it useful.

At her first audition (open day), they did an hour contemporary technique class and an hour creative class where they had to work individually and in groups. My daughter did not find it too difficult (she was 14 too) and at that time she had never taken a contemporary class but had been studying ballet and other styles for a number of years.

Remember they are looking for potential not qualified dancers so as long as your daughter attempts things she has not done before and tries to look like she is enjoying herself (easier said than done!) I am sure that is half the battle. I told my daughter to view the first auditon as a workshop opportunity and to ask questions of the teachers if she was unsure of what was being asked of her.

We were told on the day whether or not they were being taken through to the second audition and were also informed that they would have to prepare a minute solo and give a small talk about their inspiration for this!!. 8-[ We were given dates to attend a free pre-audition workshop prior to the second audition where they were given guidance from staff about their solos. Don't panic about this though because I think it is only at the Northern where they have to do solos.

At the second audition we were there for a full day; there was an hour and a half of contemporary technique, an hour and a half of creative, lunch and then the dreaded solos. These were filmed and the artistic director from another dance company came to sit on the judging panel with the CAT teachers. There was a long wait whilst they selected those dancers they wanted to take forward to an immediate interview. My daughter was successful and I was allowed to sit in with her for that. We had been told that we would be informed of the results by letter within the next 2 weeks but they actually told us there and then that she had been awarded a place. :)

I have to say our experience of the scheme since my DD started last September has been fantastic and I would recommend them to anyone. I do wish your daughter the very best of luck with her audition, tell her to smile and enjoy the day. There will be young people there with a vastly different range of dance experiences including some with none, so she mustn't be intimidated.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.
Taximom
BRIT Award

Post by Taximom »

My DD is one of the original CAT students, now 20.5 and due to graduate from LCDS (London Contemporary Dance School). She started at 14.5 and went all the way through. Ii can't advise on the current process as obviously it was very different when DD auditioned and the funding funded different things! What I can say is that it is an amazing scheme and an amazing opportunity for any dancer whatever their experience as it will just open your eyes to so much.

Enjoy the audition process, ask as many questions as you want, and if unsuccessfull consider, if you can, doing the Saturday young dancer programme or auditioning for shift, the youth dance company.

Good luck and have fun

Heather
AKA Taximom
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

Well, We went, she danced and I went to the parents presentation and tour of The Place. Probably asked too many questions but asked 'how many are you taking on' only the reply was 13 and we have over 200 applicants :roll:

And attendance at holiday workshops was compulsory without exception (Easter and Summer) - what about family life !

Wish I'd known in advance as really only wanted to look around and wouldnt have gone to the trouble to get permission from school. However, the Head wished her good luck and said he would look into why she couldn't do the three options for GCSE we want so maybe there will be a miracle somewhere.

Ho Hum.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

My dd is auditioning for CAT at The Place on Friday, and Laban on Saturday. She went to both taster days, so we kind of know what it's all about. Didn't realise the holiday courses were compulsory, but as dd would be very lucky to get in, we'd work around it. Know its a long shot, but really hope she gets into one of them! xxx
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Livy2 wrote:Well, We went, she danced and I went to the parents presentation and tour of The Place. Probably asked too many questions but asked 'how many are you taking on' only the reply was 13 and we have over 200 applicants :roll:

And attendance at holiday workshops was compulsory without exception (Easter and Summer) - what about family life !

Wish I'd known in advance as really only wanted to look around and wouldnt have gone to the trouble to get permission from school. However, the Head wished her good luck and said he would look into why she couldn't do the three options for GCSE we want so maybe there will be a miracle somewhere.

Ho Hum.
Hi, sorry you didn't feel the experience was a particularly positive one but you never know, your DD could be one of the 13. :) Did she enjoy taking part in the class? Audition experience is never wasted even if the outcome isn't the one she wants this time.

The CAT schemes are a big commitment but my DD would be there every day if she could. I have seen huge improvements in her technique and self-confidence since she started last Sept so for me the sacrifices are worthwhile.

Good luck to your DD for tomorrow and Sat beany-bean
:) :)
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thanks Kitschqueen. Dd went to The Place today and absolutely loved it. The staff there sound lovely and it seems very caring. The good news is that although they initally thought there was only 13 spaces, they have found that there is now about 20. So that makes it sound a little more hopeful. Went to Covent Garden on way home so had a lovely day, but she did cost me a fortune in the Bloch shop! Off to audition for Laban tomorrow so keeping everything crossed. xxx
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Glad to hear you enjoyed your day at The Place, beany-bean :) Good luck to your dd today at Laban and I'll be interested to hear how you feel the 2 compare as my DD will be applying to both of those for a full time place at 18.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Kitschqueen wrote:I'll be interested to hear how you feel the 2 compare as my DD will be applying to both of those for a full time place at 18.
Dd was nervous today but came out smiling. She likes both The Place and Laban, but she prefers Laban. Her reason for this is that she likes the building as its quite new, and she likes their outdoor space which she thinks they may use to stage performances. xxx
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Wow...Just had email from Laban asking dd to go back for 2nd audition and interview on 27th May. So pleased. xxx
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Excellent news!!! :D

Well done to your DD. My DD's friend has been offered a full time place there for September, the facilities do look impressive.

Will keep fingers crossed for the 27th :)
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

YES!!! DD has been offered a place on the CAT scheme at Laban starting in September. I can't believe it. So pleased for her as she was desperate to get in. \:D/ Good bye to Saturdays as I know them! Good luck to anyone else who went up. xxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Well done. That is great news. I hope she enjoys her CAT experience.
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

That's great news beanie-bean. I bet your DD is thrilled. She will have an amazing time, it is such a great thing to be part of!! =D> :D
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Ahh thanks guys. She's over the moon. xxx