RAD to ISTD

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

RAD to ISTD

Post by riverdancefan »

hi!
DS may have to change from RAD grade 6 to ISTD in September purely for logistics and timetable purposes...
will it be a like for like for him?
or shall I just wait for the teacher to assess him?
He always gets high distinctions in his gradings for RAD, he is 11, will it be an easy transition for him? - he is already peed off at leaving his friends but things are clashing too much , and worse in September !
any thoughts ?

many thanks

RDF
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: RAD to ISTD

Post by FelixGirl »

Hi Riverdancefan

I don't think your DS will have too many problems at all! DD does both, and the main difference seems to be that ISTD is more "dancey" (her words!!) and that there are fewer set exercises and more free work in ISTD. A few positions have slightly different names, and you do have to have a solid knowledge of the vocabulary (because of the amount of free work) but really nothing to worry about! He may find that he has to drop a grade in ISTD (just because of the grade content, nothing to do with ability)...but, obviously, that will be up to the teacher to assess.

I hope this helps? Good luck, I'm sure he will be fine and will soon have new friends!
Xx
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Thanks Felixgirl!
I think he might enjoy it being more dancy as it were, he is at a school where it is purely exam work, nothing else which is fine, but a bit tedious at times, although he will miss his lovely teacher :(
He knows a few of the ISTD girls so hope the transition will be painless

Thanks again x
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

You're very welcome!

I think the free work does make it more interesting....but leaving a loved teacher is always hard!

Fingers crossed for a smooth transition!
xx
ISTD
Nominee

Post by ISTD »

Hello Riverdancefan.
The levels of the ISTD and the RAD are the same, as both are on a government regulated framework (the Qualifications and Credit Framework), which shows equivalence between all regulated qualifications. Both are regulated by Ofqual, the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation, and have been checked to make sure that they meet their requirements for the levels.
If you have any other specific queries about the ISTD, please email us at trainingassistant@istd.org and we will be glad to help.
Regards
Lucy Hennessy
ISTD Marketing and Membership Officer
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Thank you Lucy !
He will definitely be changing now so really helpful post,
Many thanks again!

RDF