What PA/dance schools can or do take children from 16?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

What PA/dance schools can or do take children from 16?

Post by Katymac »

I really don't have a clue & as DD is getting to the end of year 9 we need to start looking at prospectus to work out if she is on-line for the qualifications she needs.

Is there an over view anywhere? or do I just trawl through magazines and news papers to try & find all the possibilities before I start to whittle them down.

I imagine lots only take from 18 and others will be eye wateringly expensive, but if we had a list of them all we could start to eliminate.

Where should I look?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: What PA/dance schools can or do take children from 16?

Post by 2dancersmum »

I don't know that there is a definitive list anywhere - some of the ones I've heard of include (in no particular order) Bird, Laines, Urdang, Performers, Millenium, London Studio Centre, Tring, Hammond, Madd,, Stella Mann, Reynolds London Theatre School. I gathered a lot of information from a visit to the Move It exhibition in London in March - as a lot of the big schools seem to have a stand there. Have a look at the thread in the Training forum on vocational dance schools where some questions are answered on required standards from people applying this year. Bear in mind that the current funding system is in its final year so you will not be able to get any accurate information on funding/fees until details of the new scheme are announced (September?) Most of the dance schools take from 16 but people can and do successfully apply when they are 17/18/19 aswell. I've only named dance schools, obviously there are the ballet (or ballet primary focus) schools aswell like Central, Northern Ballet, Elmhurst, RBS, Ballet West, English National. You have plenty of time to get your head round it and perhaps start looking at some open days if you are close enough.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That's what I thought - plenty of time; I hate making decisions in a rush - I'll have a look at those and maybe book onto Move it for next year (my idea of hell - I'm not great in crowds but never mind)

Funding is a major, major issue; I have no idea how we are going to do that :-({|=
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Funding appears to be the major issue for everyone and is debated endlessly on all the forums!

Luckily my Dd's primary interest is ballet/contemporary and will only be auditioning for places that are funded through the student loan system..........Rambert, London Contemporary Dance School, Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Trinity Laban, Scottish School of Contemporary Dance and possibly London Studio Centre (just added up the audition fees and already at least £270 down!!!!!) :lol:

I think the majority of colleges/ dance schools/ conservetoires listed by 2dancersmum and myself have websites and their prospectus are available on line. They also usually say what the minimum requirements for entry are and some tell you what is expected at audition. Much better to do it from the comfort of you own armchair!! :D
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I think I'm going to have to get a proper job :cry: I'm SE are while it provides a life-style, I can't borrow any money while earning virtually nil

Children are so expensive

DD says she will teach dance while studying; but I think that is unrealistic at 16 <bless>
dadadance
BRIT Award

Post by dadadance »

Take a look on directgov website under dance and drama awards page there are links to all of the schools that currently offer Dadas. Do wish they would update that page to reflect they won't be available from next year.

London Studio Centre only take from 18 and as a private university you can only get a loan for 6 of the 9000 the rest you have to pay.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I'm presuming that as DD is only 14 DaDas won't exist when she is 18; plus I think she needs to study seriously at 16 (but I could be wrong)

2 years doing A levels seems fairly pointless and I'm not sure there is anything locally which will advance her beyond where we anticipate she will be in 2 yrs (again I could me wrong)

Of course she could give it all up tomorrow
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

I think it is only ballet where you really need to, and it is expected, that you will attend a vocational 6th form/commence full time training at 16.
At this age you are already having to audition for places against dancers who have been at vocational school since the age of 11. Many ballet students also complete A levels as part of their full time training though subjects offered are more limited that at your local 6th form.
Certainly for contemporary dance the degree course starts at 18 though some run foundation courses where you can study full time from 17. There is an expectation that As/A levels will have been studied.
I do not know the age or exam criteria for the performing arts courses and I am sure there are more knowledgeable parents here who can advise.
Personally I feel that academic study shouldn't be discounted as dancing is a precarious business where an injury can prevent completion of training or can finish a career. It is also highly competitive and places are fiercely contested at the top schools and colleges so it is always good to have a plan B (or even C,D & E :lol: ) if she is not successful in her auditions at 16.
Do your research so you can make informed choices, a lot will depend on what path she decides on and like you say she could give it all up tomorrow.
dadadance wrote:London Studio Centre only take from 18 and as a private university you can only get a loan for 6 of the 9000 the rest you have to pay.
Thanks for the info on this dada dance as this was one of my DD's potential choices. I was aware they only took from 18 but not about the funding :)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I think we are up to about plans X, Y & Z tbh

She thinks she wants to do the DDI, DDE & also qualify as an associate in the ISTD (in one branch or another), then she wants to dance until she can't any more and then teach

How viable that is, I just don't know
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Katymac wrote: 2 years doing A levels seems fairly pointless and I'm not sure there is anything locally which will advance her beyond where we anticipate she will be in 2 yrs (again I could me wrong)
Didn't you say in another thread on this board that your DD attends a CAT scheme. These are pre-vocational courses and am sure will give your dd all the advice and support she needs to achieve her goals. :D
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

We've been through this over the past couple of years Katymac.....DD is starting a 3 year Dance/Musical Theatre Diploma in September (at 16). We too debated whether she should study for A levels, but also thought that she should go now if she were fortunate enough to be offered a place. But..... our decision was heavily based on the fact that this year DaDAs are still available!!

We did everything....we trawled the internet, went to graduate/end of year shows and Open Days, and watched the shows, attended classes and talked to all the colleges at MoveIt (although packed, it is a brilliant opportunity to talk to students!). This gave both of us a really good idea of what each of the colleges were like......DDs dance teacher then added her thoughts about where would be most suitable for DD and also said to her (huge dose of realism here!!) that if she were not good enough to get into any of her top choices, then maybe it would be time to rethink her options!! So we went from having an initial potential audition list of 12 ...down to four (which saved us a huge amount in audition fees alone!!).

I wish you huge amounts of luck......I hope the funding situation is settled soon so people can start to make informed decisions!!

xx
Moonshine
BRIT Award

Post by Moonshine »

From Sept 2012 the Italia Conti Arts Centre in Guildford will be running a 2 year BTEC for 16-18 year olds with funding available. They also offer this course which combines performance and teacher training:

http://www.italia-conti.com/#/3-year-pe ... 4563555237
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Italia Conti sounds interesting; I'm guessing the performance & teacher training is from 18 - it's difficult to tell as their site is 'under construction' in parts (I'll check back)

The CAT is complicated and I don't really understand her place in it

Felix girl that sounds like how my future will be for the next 2 years
Moonshine
BRIT Award

Post by Moonshine »

Katymac, it's worth calling Italia Conti 01483 568070 and asking because I'm pretty sure the 3 yr course takes 16 year olds - but maybe now they are introducing the 2 yr BTEC this may change.

They're very friendly at the Arts Centre and they also have plenty of flats in the immediate vicinity for students to rent if needs be.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I have contacted them & I'm waiting for an email - they replied very quickly to my initial enquiry