CAT Scheme Advice

Moderator: busybusybusy

DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

CAT Scheme Advice

Post by DanceDiva »

To our amazement and utter delight our DD has been accepted onto the CAT scheme at The Lowry starting in September \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
It was, in their words, ' a challenging auditon' and we are just speechless .... :shock:

Would love to hear experiences, tips and pearls of wisdom from other parents who have a CAT dancer and what we can expect in the first year ?
Thank you
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: CAT Scheme Advice

Post by riverdancefan »

:D :D =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ;)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Huge congratulations to your talented DD!!! :D

My DD has just finished her first year of the contemporary CAT scheme at Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds. I cannot praise the scheme enough, it is absolutely fantastic, your DD will have a ball.
The schemes across the country do seem to vary in how they are run so I can only tell you what my DD has experienced this year, the Lowry scheme will probably do things differently.

Over the last year she has attended 3 times a week for a total of 8 hours studying contemporary technique and fitness, creative and a complimentary style either ballet or pilates.
She has had 2 intensive weekends where she did workshops learning different styles of dance with renowned teachers, dancers and choreographers. There was an intensive choreography week at Easter where she worked with Errol White on her end of year piece and this was then followed up with another intensive weekend. She has had 4 trips to the theatre to watch Retina Dance Co, Rambert, Phoenix Dance and Nederlands dans theater 2 and they also took them to London for the weekend to attend Move It and went to watch Scottish Dance Theatre at the Place (though I had to pay extra for this trip.)

There have been several performance opportunities too and this weekend it is her end of year performance which they are doing with the ballet CAT students at Northern Ballet's theatre in Leeds. (I am so excited to watch this!! :D )

They all have individual training plans set at the beginning of the September term,I received a progress report at the end of the first term and we have the end of year tutorials next week. Just the summer intensive week to go and we are finished for the year!!!

It is hard work and there is an expectation that they will strive for 100% attendance but I have found the tutors to be supportive and nurturing and understand the academic (and emotional) pressures facing young people.
The quality of the teaching is superb and the whole group of young people get on so well together, I am sure she has made friends for life.
I have to make a significant contribution to the scheme but to me it is worth every penny :-)
I hope your DD loves it as much as mine.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Wow Kitschqueen - now I am even MORE excited !! Am I right in thinking your DD also has a freestyle background ?

DD has only recently started ballet and jazz ( within last 8 months ) and previously has only done freestyle so we are just thrilled that she has been given this opportunity to be taught to such a standard. We have only ever read wonderful things about the CAT scheme but it is so reassuring to hear it from someone on the ground so to speak.
Only had the confirmation last night so we are still reeling ( and grinning ), Im sure we will have many questions as the dust settles but are already wishing away the summer hols !
FelixGirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by FelixGirl »

Congratulations to your very talented DD DanceDiva!! We've heard such fantastic reports about the CAT scheme, she must be absolutely thrilled!! =D> =D> =D>
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

haha, sorry I do go on!! :lol:

My DD did a lot of freestyle and gymanastics between the ages of 8 and 12 but studied ballet, tap and modern from being a tot. In fact, she also successfully auditioned for 2 ballet associate schemes last year but then chose the contemporary CAT despite never having had a lesson in this in her life!! She doesn't regret the decision one bit but still continues with ballet lessons and syllabus work at her local dance school because Rambert would be her first choice for full time training.

There is another mum on here, beanie-bean whose dd is starting at Trinity Laban's CAT scheme in September too. :)

Love your quote about wishing away the summer holidays because that is exactly what my DD did last year. :lol:
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Yay! Well done to your DD DancingDiva! =D> My dd is also very excited about starting CAT at Trintiy Laban, she cried when I told her the good news that she had been accepted. The audition process is very tough, with lots of children applying so they have done very well to get their places. Congrats to them both. xxx
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Well done to your dd...... \:D/ \:D/ :D

Livvyvicky x
Taximom
BRIT Award

Post by Taximom »

Very well done to all who have gained a first place on a CAT scheme and have fun to continuing dancers! I have a DD who was one of the first CAT students at LCDS the place CAT scheme so many years ago, it now feels! Anyone able to get to Newcastle Dance City will see her in LC3 dancing Alston's Ceremony of Carols plus other student choreography as she graduated from CAT to LCDS and is about to complete her degree. All 3rd year students in their final term form the graduate company LC3 and tour work for a very intensive month.

CAT is a wonderful scheme and the students will be expected to work hard but have a top class training. I would suggest not setting your heart on one particular school but, when the time comes, try for everything available at 16 and 18. As with ballet, schools look for different things!!

Have wonderful fun in September! If you can't wait and can get to the place, they have lots of wonderful opportunities during the Summer for young peoples dance and the YHA on Euston Road (St Pancras) is great but may already be well booked!!

Heather
aka Taximom
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Heather I have sent you a pm :)
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Loads of congratulations to those very talented DDs who've been accepted onto the CAT scheme.

I can't speak from a dance perspective, but just wanted to say that my DS is on a similar thing for his music and it's the best thing that's ever happened to him. It has definitely changed his life for the better and given him so many opportunities and unique experiences.

Good luckt o all your DDs!
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I hope all the children who get on to the CAT enjoy it

My DD certainly is - she is off to dance in a show this afternoon
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thank you for all your lovely comments. xxx
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Without a doubt - thank you all for your good wishes and advice =D>
Dance a lot
Nominee

Post by Dance a lot »

Hi everyone I'm new to this site my DS was at a full time dance school for over 2 years but is now in London at a theatre school he auditioned for trinity Laban cat scheme and starts sept would be nice to talk to parents off children going there as we are moving down to London as well so it's all new to us