GRAMMY Award

Re: CAT Scheme Advice

Post by beanie-bean »

Well done to your DS Dance a lot. Have sent you a pm xxx
Jazz
Nominee

Post by Jazz »

To anyone that got a place on a CAT scheme this year - Well Done ! My DD is about to start her 2nd year at Dance East Academy, Ipswich - she had an amazing first year. So much more than going to dance classes and just following the teacher. They are encouraged to contribute as well and work alonside the tutors - my daughter has really grown in technique and confidence. Also there are performance opportunities (example - Torch Relay Concert and Royal Operara House), working with top class choreographers and trips as well as their classes. It's a great opportunity for anyone (as well as the fun)!!!
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Not long to go now for all the new and returning CAT students!! :D

We've had our hand book, ITP and all the other bumf that needs signing through the post this week. My DD not back until the 25th Sept which seems later than last year......she can't wait.

In 2011 The Lowery hosted a performance featuring dancers from all the CAT schemes across the UK plus The Royal Ballet's Primary Steps. I really hope this is organised again for next year then I can meet you all in the bar and put faces to all the NAPM user names! :lol:

Good luck to everyone, have an amazing year of dancing!
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

My dd is at freshers weekend at Laban CAT on 15th & 16th September, but the existing students go back a week after. My dd can't wait, she really loved it when she auditioned. We've heard great things about the scheme and I'm sure she'll get a lot from it. She's had a lot of heartache and disappointment over the past 12 months, and I feel this will be a new chapter for her. Here's to moving forwards! xxx

And yes Kitschqueen, it would be great if the CAT centers get to perform together again. Would be lovely to meet you. :D xxx
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Well where on earth did the summer go to ?? :shock: :shock:

Our induction at The Lowry is tomorrow and a mixture of excitement, apprehension, trepidation and realisation.
Been an emotional week as DD has decided to pack in the freestyle dance she loved due to a niggling injury and there not being 9 days in a week !
Im hoping tomorrow will blow her sadness away and fill her with enthusiasm for the coming term - massive good luck to all the new CAT dancers and fingers crossed for a meet-up in the future.
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Wishing all CAT dancers lots of luck, and fun, over the coming year.

Also, to all those who may be on the various music CAT schemes, DS included. Induction day next Saturday. This will be his last year, due to age, which will be so sad. It has been the best thing that has ever happened to him and has helped him develop as a musician and a person so much.

We will forever be indebted to the financial assistance and personal support he has received.
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
joe
Nominee

Post by joe »

My DS is attending an open day for Trinity Laban next weekend, having only just heard of this scheme after one of the tutors from danceast came and did a workshop at his school, he then gave him 'you've been spotted' card, by previous replys it sounds like a brilliant scheme!! My worry is that my DS has only one year left before he starts auditioning for full time dance colleges, so i was wondering would it be worth it, (thats if he was lucky enough to be accepted) any advice would be gratefully received.

Jo x
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

I would say it is definitely worth it. Even one year intensive training at the CAT can make a huge difference to technique and confidence plus it will look good on his applications for full time training! I know in the final year at my dd's CAT they also give them loads of advice and practical help preparing for auditions for full time training. I would say go for it + lots of luck! :)
Last edited by Kitschqueen on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

My DS also has a place on the CAT taster at Laban next week but we possibly can't make it now.
He really wanted to see how he felt about it, he loves dance but is really MT orientated and to take a place if offered in the CaT scheme would mean leaving his Saturday performing arts college..... However the dance training and discipline would be awesome.....
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
joe
Nominee

Post by joe »

Thanks for the replies, we will definatly give it a go now :lol: I understand the audition process is really hard, but its all experience for him.

Why doesn't your ds riverdancefan go to the taster day then see how he feels, my ds does his beloved cheerleading on a saturday and I think if he was fortunate enough to get in, it will be a massive sacrifice to him...

jo x
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Let us know how you get on. It might be worth contacting beanie bean via pm. Her dd is in the first year at Trinity Laban so she'll certainly be able to tell you what to expect at the taster day and audition. :)
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

My dd is in her first year at CAT at Laban, and she absolutley loves it. The staff are fantastic and we feel so lucky that she has been given this opportunity. I would recommend anyone to go along to the taster day. It's definatley worth your ds going for this joe, they offer a lot of support to students who are applying to colleges. I would also recommend auditioning for CAT at The Place (It doubles your chances of getting in to one of them). Any CAT scheme is a huge commitment but for us it is definately worth it. I hope any dc's going along this weekend have a lovely time. xxx
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

we have decided not to go for it this year as DS is more of an all-rounder and as much as he loves dance,he would have to leave Conti's which would break his heart
so with regret we have pulled out
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

What suits one child/yp isn't right for another. There are so many opportunities out there these days it's hard to be able to fit everything in. I'm sure you and ur Ds have made the right decision 4 him RDF :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Kitschqueen wrote:What suits one child/yp isn't right for another. There are so many opportunities out there these days it's hard to be able to fit everything in. I'm sure you and ur Ds have made the right decision 4 him RDF :)
Thank you :D
he is disappointed he cant fit it all in, he loves contemporary and had a wonderful experience at the Boy's Only weekend at Laban, but you have to choose, if not for anything else we cant afford everything...but good luck to all those who are following their CAT dreams

x