Choosing training at post-16

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Choosing training at post-16

Post by Katymac »

I have been given the names of 21 colleges/schools to look at for post-16 training (I don't really want to discuss the A levels vs PA route as I'm a believer in life long learning - the only time my A levels were important to my brother & I were at uni entry - the rest of the time it has been what O levels I have - even at 43!)

So how (do I) does she choose? Do I order prospectus from all of them? Someone has suggested visiting Move-it next year to collect information? Are they reviewed anywhere?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Choosing training at post-16

Post by 2dancersmum »

I would be inclined to look online 1st at the different schools and to talk to as many people as you can who have either experience of the process or who are at the same stage as you are. If it is feasable to visit any of the schools on their open days or to see one of their shows that is also an option. Ultimately auditioning is a very expensive process and you need to get that number of schools down. How you do that is up to you - location, size, cost, reccommendation, which prospectus appeals the most? We sort of did a mixture - visisted 1 school, saw a show at another, ruled some out on location. Move It did come in useful for me as some of the colleges had dancers/siners performing there so you could see diferences in styles/standard and talk to representatives of the colleges (staff and students) but initial research was on line. Bear in mind that no one college is the best and everywhere has good and bad points. It is very much a personal choice at the end of the day and your DD may well not have any preference at all until she has actually auditioned. Good luck.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Don't foget your dds idea of which is ideal may differ from yours, as you will both have different ideas of criteria - when my older dd was looking at universities her main criteria was to move away from home (she always wanted to go to boarding school after reading Enid Blyton!).
Yours are more likely to be price/distance from home/accommodation etc, which are probably be at the bottom of her list!
I would start by getting all the prospectus and then get dd and myself to put them in order of preferance, them probably choose the top 10 that appear on both lists to look into further.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

One thing we also did as well as the points given above was look at programmes etc of shows my DD had been to and looked at where people had trained. My Dd was auditioning for acting/MT but I would assume this info is useful to dancers as well. Many places give details of alumni and where they are now, what the did etc. This is interesting to see how careers progressed after training. You can also get the figures for those who went onto professional careers. Ask for course completion rates as well.

Auditions are very expensive, especially if like us you live a long way away. For my Dd they often involved hotels :shock: . We spent not far short of 4 figures (recalls are great but cost even more money !!) so I agree that research is needed to get that long list don to something more manageable. Go through each website in detail - there is lots of info on most of them but you sometimes have to hunt for it. Dont be afraid to phone them with extra questions you cant find the answer to.

Good luck :)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks this is really good info

Peoples opinions of schools vary so much
puck
BRIT Award

Post by puck »

Unless you can afford to pay full fees I would look firstly at how each course is funded. If you can't afford to go there it doesn't matter how much you like the look of a place!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Reduce the list to manageable numbers then visit each one - preferably a special visit, not an open day. You need your daughter to tell you if the feel is right. The chance to see the spaces, the staff and most importantly, the type of students they have. Some fall down on the space - maybe the buildings are old and tired, but the vibe is good and their results impressive. Some older buildings are nicer to work in, than the all chrome and glass places. The critical thing will be to talk to the students alone - because they will always moan and groan rather than praise - you just need to listen to the moans and determine if it's just annoyed student talk, or genuine concerns - they promised us 4 hours a week of Jazz, and we only get 1! That kind of thing. This will reduce your list nicely so you get a better chance to make a sensible decision. Shiny brochures telling you all the good points and none of the bad ones don't help that much. Some of the really nice places look brilliant, but when you drive to them you go through areas that make you want to lock the door - but unless you know the region well, you just don't know.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks everyone for the great advise; I finding each of her teachers has favourites

Funding is a massive issue....re-mortgaging or bumping of my parents seem the only likely options :-k #-o