Re: So frustrated for DD

Post by funnygirl »

How did it go?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She asked for extension work at the start of the class

The teacher gave the whole class a lecture about the class not being about 'Grades' as they weren't really important; and then gave DD & 3 others the extension work

So I don't know where we are going here; but I think DD asking for the extension work is good as she is taking responsibility for herself
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Post by funnygirl »

Yes, it was brave of your dd to ask and it should show them how committed she is!

I'm not too sure what you mean by extension work, though. Do you mean that she and the others do different steps ect within the class or is it something to be doing at home?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

They are working on quite a low level of Ballet; DD as a beginner last year fitted in quite well. But she has advanced very fast (nothing to Grade 5 in 8 months) due to (I think) the strength and control she has for her Ballroom/Latin

So she & the others instead of 'Preparing to' as the others are doing, are actually doing (which I hope means something to people who do ballet 'cos it's all greek to me ;) )
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Hi Katymac, you and I have exchanged a number of PM's on this topic and I'm sorry the issue has still not been resolved.

I remain confused about the importance ballet has at your DD's Contemporary CAT that it would stop your DD from moving up or progressing through the scheme. I know all the CATs are run differently and I think the one your dd attends takes much younger children than the one my dd attends.

The minimum age for entry into my DD's CAT is 13 years and there are 3 levels of entry depending on age and experience. My dd was 14 when she auditioned and was put into the first year with students having a range of ages from 13 -15 years. They have all moved up together into the second year(and last years second years into the third.)

Last September the students came with vastly different dance experiences and backgrounds and some had never studied ballet at all. The beauty of CATS is that someone could be selected with absolutely no dance training whatsoever just the desire and the potential!

They were all placed in the same class for ballet as the ballet they are taught is very much to develop technique, core strength and to enhance them as contemporary dancers, not to prepare them for classical ballet training.
My dd has studied ballet since she was 6 and is studying for RAD vocational exams at her local school so the ballet training she receives via the CAT is no-where near this level. She accepts this and uses it as an opportunity to take her technique back to basics, make sure everything is executed perfectly and enjoy doing additional non-syllabus ballet with a different teacher. The ballet classes are alternated with pilates and both are described as complimentary sessions: greater importance (and time) is definitely apportioned to the contemporary and creative classes.

I know all the CATS are organised differently and maybe there is greater emphasis on ballet at you DD's CAT than at mine. I think it is best to view what she does there as an additional class to the ballet syllabus work she does at her local school (and all the other styles she studies). :D
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Thanks for explaining all of that Kitchqueen, I have a much better understanding of this thread now. :D
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Having read all this thread I am concerned that the fun and enjoyment is missing. Learning to dance is hard work, but should be enjoyable and certainly not as stressful as all these experiences seem to have been. At your DD's age stress and worry should not overshadow enjoyment. i hope she manages to keep it all in perspective.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That is the bit that worries me Welshmum, & that DD should be doing things with children her own age

The continual promises of moving up which never appear also concern me

But she will be a happy bunny tonight with 91% is both her grade 2 Tap and her Bronze Jazz!!

Kitschqueen - that system seems very far removed from what I am seeing
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She has her meeting about her conditional place this Saturday; they forgot she needed one until I reminded her
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Katymac wrote:She has her meeting about her conditional place this Saturday; they forgot she needed one until I reminded her
Again this confuses me about your dd's CAT scheme. There are no conditional places at my DD's; you attend an open day and are selected to audition (or not), you then audition and are successful (or not)!

Hope it went well for your DD today and congrats on her brilliant exam results :D
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Ours does seem to be different; I am not a happy bunny

But we had a massive compliment recently.......My Dad goes to Pilates, and the teacher said "her friend had been at the school Btec show & see a really good dancer, who had done a ballroom thingie"

"Oh" said the teacher "one of my class had a grand-daughter in that show, which one was it?"

The friend said "It was XXX, and she was amazing, really brought the house down"

Pilates eacher said "That is my class member's grand-daughter" & then she told my dad the tale!!!

So, some 'strange' (but obviously someone with taste) person thought my DD was a really good dancer, who was amazing and brought the house down!!!!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Kitschqueen at your CAT do they automatically move up a class at the end of the year or do they re-audition?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She has been given 4 targets (not very SMART imo, but....)

1) Improve her turnout over her whole leg
2) Sit with the rest of the class at break/snack times
3) Improve her enthusiasm & confidence
4) Improve her leg flexibility

So we have no time scales (well "over the year") & nothing very specific

I think 2 is unfair she is up to 4 yrs older than then & she reads/does GCSE work at break times & 3 is just astounding, as she embodied those words!! But 2 & 4 seem fine if a little vague.
puck
BRIT Award

Post by puck »

I m concerned at reading the first target listed - turnout should always come from the hip and therefore be carried through the entire leg. If the feet are turned out to a differing degree from the hip it creates stress particually in the knee and will undoubtedly cause injury in time. Turnout is vitally important in ballet/contemporary. I then reread through the entire thread and saw that your dd has only been doing ballet for about a year. She has done incredibly well to progress as far as she has and to be accepted onto a CAT scheme but many dc her age will have been having ballet training for 10+ years and many of the strength/technique requirements do take considerable time to build up. The other targets do seem at odds with your dd's other teacher's views. I would not take too much notice of the Btec results as it is a broader course designed to be taken by those with little/no formal training and is therefore not too technical (Paul Ears has commented on this previously) however could you ask her ballet teacher to speak to the CAT teachers as they may be more forthcoming especially as the CAT should be working WITH your dd's regular dance teacher so her overall training programme is co-ordinated to enable maximum progress.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Her regular dance teacher offered to come to the meeting with her & the CAT refused :(

Her ITP last year said "Her placement and turnout has improved well and her work is neat and precise. She has also worked hard on her flexibility and this certainly shows" so she is working hard.

btw my last sentence should have said "But 1 & 4 seem fine" - oops

We still don't have the results of the BTec

Apparently the CAT should be helping with her deciding what college to go to; but they have said they won't until she is in level 4; and on current progress that will happen when she is about 22 ](*,) so we will muddle through with the excellent advice from NaPM