I feel 'safe' in the dance section....

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

I feel 'safe' in the dance section....

Post by Katymac »

....but my question is not about dancing (as such) - but it is Musical Theatre :?

The local Operatic Society are doing the Sound of Music next year; DD is mixed race and has suggested she might not 'fit' in amongst half a dozen blond children ;) but would like to try out anyway.

Does she learn the song from the Sound of Music or will they be entirely fed up of hearing it murdered by small children?
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: I feel 'safe' in the dance section....

Post by paulears »

I'd encourage her to go for it. If you feel comfy with it, and so does she - to be honest nowadays, nobody cares any longer. A few years ago I entered into very early negotiations to be able to do Disney's Aida in college. In the end, I couldn't get the rights to use costumes - only for a concert performance, but the real stumbling block was skin colour. This show was in the states managed really well - the Egyptians were white and wore one colour costumes, and the Nubians were black and had different colour costumes - pretty much as how it was in Egypt in the period. By bosses at the college were worried silly - they idea of picking people because of skin colour scared them to death. In a few short years, thank goodness, we've moved far enough to make a TV programme consider a black guy for Jesus! It really doesn't matter any longer. The question for her is simple. Does she fancy doing it? If yes - full steam ahead. It's theatre, so I doubt anybody will even comment on it. I suppose somebody could ask a stupid question about the 'reality' of the family - perhaps understandable due to the period it's set in, but I don't think it's serious comment.

Sounds like a fun role to me! The songs of course will do your head in!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Full steam ahead

The songs already annoy me :roll:

Can you imagine 47 children singing "Doe a deer...." :-&
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

We saw a fabulous production of Swallows & Amazons and Titty was black; DD commented on it (& said she wanted to be Titty, not Susan)
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

paulears wrote:the Egyptians were white and wore one colour costumes, and the Nubians were black and had different colour costumes - pretty much as how it was in Egypt in the period. By bosses at the college were worried silly - they idea of picking people because of skin colour scared them to death.
at master m's school they did 'west side story' with white kids as jets, and indian-ethnic kids as sharks - that's their demographic - worked really well - and the odd shark in the turban - well, so it goes
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.