Subjective nature of dance

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Subjective nature of dance

Post by Katymac »

While wittering on the tap thread I came to the startling conclusion that dance is subjective, like music. Some people will love the Beatles and some Justin Bieber! And all those people will be right.

I kind of like watching ballet but I loved 'I got rhythm' which we saw earlier in the year. I also adored the 'Demon Barbers with Time Gentlemen Please' but if you'd told me I would be watching Morris dancing beforehand I'd have laughed :roll:

I guess for me it isn't really about technique or even particularly skill; I am 'audience' & I want to be 'entertained'
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Re: Subjective nature of dance

Post by Kitschqueen »

You are so right about it being about personal choice and preference.

I have to confess that I absolutely love to watch any type of dance and even go and watch all the local dance school shows at the small Victorian theatre where I live! :D

My taste however has been influenced by whatever my DD's favoured dance genre has been at the time, as she has studied nearly every single one over the years! :lol:

Now she is attending a contemporary dance CAT I have been exposed to more of this style over the last 12 months. I am starting to realise that I prefer to watch this more than classical ballet which I have always had a passion for (never thought I would say that!!).

My partner just thinks it is a load of people rolling around on the floor!! :lol: ](*,)