Dance GCSE in 1 year?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Dance GCSE in 1 year?

Post by Livy2 »

Hi,

Can anyone advise me about DD completing a dance GCSE in one year? Long story but basically because the school couldn't give her all her preferred options, the dance teacher offered to run an after school dance GCSE as she was convinced of DD's possible A or A* result. We thought this would be over 2 years, but now DD says she's doing over 1 year so she's in Y10 but will be taking the exam next year with the Y11s. I'm not against her doing it in one year but I don't want her to get a rubbish result.

DD has been doing ballet since 3 or 4 years old, currently in RAD 4/5 having done ISTD for several years, on pointe for a year, member of county Junior and now Youth Contemporary Dance since Y5, done Jazz at Drama school for last 10 years. and also been selected for Dance shows and local professional and rep theatre shows, so plenty of difference experiences.

Would be grateful for anyone else's opinion. :) 8-[
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Dance GCSE in 1 year?

Post by paulears »

Let's be honest - the only reason they can do this is because your daughter is already up to GCSE standard from her other activities. So in fact, the year is probably not even going to be busy for her. You need to get hold of the spec, then go on line and check the actual marking scheme. You will then know what's actually in it. Depending on the board, look out for the non-dance elements. These can often be the areas dancers get stuck on. They often used to throw in a bit of dance history and that is something new - and might need some work. GCSE is designed for drip feeding, with loads of holidays and recapping for people who have missed classes.

One thing - is it possible to do it on her own? Isn't ensemble work part of the deal?
happymoocow
Nominee

Post by happymoocow »

Sorry I can't comment on the GCSE query, but WOW what a dance c.v! Congratulations to your daughter, she's obviously very committed
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reassuring replies. There's actually two of them in the after school GCSE, plus they have to go to a lunchtime club which is for dancers in Y9 to Y11, and another lunchtime the pair cover the theory stuff. When I look at all the things she does, I think it's too much but she's so committed to this acting and performing life.

Got a letter from school yesterday with the schedule of mocks and actual exams and they and the Y11s take the first mock next week - but she seems okay about that so fingers crossed. [-o< The Theory seems to be the last exam in May so time for revision. Just hope it all works out okay as she wants to have the full quota of GCSEs, academic and non-academic and the Drama side of things is pretty busy too. ;)
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

I'm sure she will do very well as she is so committed to it. :)
My friend's dd did her performing arts GCSE in one year (she was year 9) and got A*!!