RAD to ISTD

Moderator: busybusybusy

Tiggy
BRIT Award

RAD to ISTD

Post by Tiggy »

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference between ISTD and RAD ballet, DD is grade 2 RAD and we are wondering if she would be able to switch easily enough to ISTD and if so would she be likely to go into the same grade class, or would she be likely to go into a grade lower or higher?
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: RAD to ISTD

Post by riverdancefan »

HI Tiggy
we had the same issue fairly recently, DS has gone from grade 6 RAD to ISTD 4 (timetable clashing), and is just about to go up to the next grade , the ISTD teacher has assessed him and is pleased, some of the steps are different (he says), but he is enjoying the performance aspect

Here is a link to my thread, hope it's helpful as there is a post from an ISTD representative, and she was incredibly helpful :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17432
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Tiggy
BRIT Award

Post by Tiggy »

Thank you for that, very helpful reading :) x
dabdab
Nominee

Post by dabdab »

Hello
You may find as well as the steps being a little different, that ISTD have more 'free' work. So in an exam the examiner will ask the children to perform certain steps in an order of their choice. I feel sure they gey a few practice runs. My daughter has done both RAD and ISTD and she says the ISTD work sometimes feels a bit harder than RAD
Tiggy
BRIT Award

Post by Tiggy »

Thanks dabdab, we are still not sure yet if we are going to need to change but thank you for the info :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

DS is enjoying the change, he gets a bit more "performance type " steps
IYSWIM
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE