Help from CATs pre-audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Help from CATs pre-audition

Post by Katymac »

Me again, sorry!

Being 'something' of a control freak I have arranged a meeting with the CAT my daughter attend to discuss preparation for auditions next year (to start Sept 14 - so I'm guessing auditions will start Dec 13?)

Has anyone who has attended a CAT had any help with this or is it much more of a 'sort it out yourselves' thing. I don't want to ask for the moon if all I can expect is a small aubergine (very old joke) :oops:
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Re: Help from CATs pre-audition

Post by Fruitcake »

DS attends a part-time music school under the CAT scheme, and from our experience it is up to the pupils to prepare their own auditions. The staff don't help with them, other than to advise what sort of things they are looking for and to give general advice and guidance.

We have always asked DS's private tutors to help him choose and prepare pieces, although DS has been known to change his mind at the last minute and improvise! :roll:
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I kind of thought that despite what this website says http://www.nationaldancecats.co.uk/graduates/
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

I know at my dd's CAT they take the final year students (17-18 year olds) down to London to attend pre audition workshops and to look round the London colleges in the October half term.
It is up to the individual student to attend any additional open days, apply to their favourite colleges/conservatories and write their personal statements but the tutors will advise on these.
They also offer additional classes to work on solo pieces.
The tutors seem to know the individual students very well and what their strengths are and do give impartial advice as to the career path/institution that would best suit them.
There is also an informal network as the younger students listen and learn from the older ones who are going through it at the time!
You seem less impressed with your dd's CAT and I notice you have posted on another forum that they do not particularly prepare or support young people to apply for full time places at 16.
I think this is because it is primarily a contemporary CAT and as the full time contemporary dance courses are degrees, they do prefer the post 18, maturer dancer. That is what your dd's scheme will be working towards.
It is only in classical ballet that it seems essential to apply for vocational 6th form places (that is why the only ballet CAT accepts auditionees from 10 years and they work towards and are prepared for auditioning for full time vocational training at 16).
All the other dance/MT colleges do take dancers full time from 16 but it is not absolutely necessary and your decision will have to be made in relation to other things eg your finances, your dd's maturity and ability to live away from home at 16 as well as her standard of dancing.
My dd did toy with the idea of auditioning at Rambert for entry at 16 (has decided to wait until 18 now as she wants to do A levels) but I accepted that it was my responsibility to find out when the open days and auditions were for this and her responsibility to fill in the application form and to prepare an audition solo, not the CATs (though I'm sure they would have helped her if we were continuing down this path).

Good luck with your meeting :)
Last edited by Kitschqueen on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Ooops, sorry............think I may have got the wrong end of the stick! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I thought you meant the audition to stay on the CAT scheme for the next year! :oops:
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

We don't have an audition to stay on you get an unconditional, conditional or ? (Something I can't remember)

I know what you are saying - I do wonder if my attitude & opinions are causing her problems

For the best of intentions, I may have made things worse for DD
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Of course you've not made things worse for your dd, you want the best for her and are trying to find out all the information you need for her to make the right choices.

Im sure that if she is anything like my teenage dd she will tell you to back off if she thinks you are overstepping the mark! :lol:

Ultimately it will be her choice as to where she goes and what path she takes, involve her at each stage and I'm sure you will all make the right decision.

Good luck with your meeting at the CAT, if you go expecting a aubergine you won't be disappointed and you never know you might get the moon! :)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Oh she is carrying round dog-eared and tatty prospectuses & every website is book marked

I think there is even a spreadsheet on holiday schools for next year with estimates of how many birthdays/Christmases it will take to pay for them & she is putting in a formal request to er grandma for access to her 'uni fund' to pay for auditions

I think it's more of her involving me (& me not understanding) than the other way ](*,)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

OK I was completely wrong

They were very supportive & actually said everything I have been saying to DD (& she believed them)

So I apologise