Poor DD is all post virally-so no dancing-how will we cope?

Moderator: busybusybusy

sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: Poor DD is all post virally-so no dancing-how will we co

Post by sapphire »

Aw ... bless her! Of course she will. DD got glandular fever about this time two years ago and she was back dancing again and doing her AS levels by Easter! Rest really is the key though ... the more she rests, the quicker she'll be back on her feet again!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Still no school & no exercise

Blood tests on Thursday but the GP doesn't think it's glandular fever
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Hopefully the blood tests will help get to the bottom of whats going on ...
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

My DD had a really bad virus when she was about 13 - numerous blood tests did not help, all signs of glandular fever but it wasn't. She took ages to recover though - felt a lot of pressure to get back to school etc but wasn't right for about 2-3 months. I remeber my dr teling me just because they couldn't put a name on the virus didn't mean it wasn't a bad one. Hopeflly your DD will start feeling better soon, but I agree with others - better to rest now than prolong it.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

our dd was diagnosed with post viral fatigue at 13 she missed 2 months of school and took another 2 months to get back to regular dance classes I was told to let her rest and not to push as if pushed it could turn into ME - she was tired all the time and lost all her normal spark the hospital paediatrician put it down to the fact she had had tonsils and appendix out during the preceeding 18 months and had hit puberty and growth spurt all around the same time. I read loads that scared me but the best advice which we followed was dont worry about school or dancing let the body do what it needs and plenty of vitamins etc - I now swear by good old fashoned tonic Minadex..... she soon got back to full strength but for the first year we were very strict in terms of not burning candle both ends if she wanted to do her shows this meant no sleep overs or anything else that would tire her and we insisted on 8 hours sleep and pacing.....

the great thing is she is now 19 and got the stamina of an ox away working as a singer with a very full schedule of 3 shows most days and she is coping well there was a moment when I thought she would never have been able to persue her passion - but so glad I listened to the early advice and let her take the time to recover - she soon caught up on school and I was careful to keep them fully acquainted with the situation .. but was glad I stayed firm and did not push her back to soon she built back up from mornings to full days - the stress kids are under from many corners nowadays academically and pier group wise should not be ignored - wishing your dd a full recovery in the meantime enjoy some duvet time with her - those opportunities get less and less as they grow up xxxx
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She has a weeks course at Urdang at half-term; she will be devastated she might miss it. She has a show on the Sunday before & I have already cancelled a comp on the Fri & Sat in Blackpool. Do I cancel? Do I wait & see?

She was in school for 2 hours today & is missing GCSE stuff & controlled assessments :(
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

perhaps Urdang would postpone to feb half term if they do one? Iagree with cancelling competition as they come with mental stress not just the physical - if e feels up to going on the week then let her as she will have fun but summer schools do tend to be fast paced as they like to show a taste of what full time is like good luck with everything go with your instincts mum normally know best x
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Hope your DD gets good news with her blood tests today. Hard though it may be, I think as much rest as possible is the answer. If she gets a diagnosis rather than a 'it might be' you should be able to talk to school to arrange a schedule so that DD gets to do her compulsorary stuff like controlled assessments in school and other work be set for her to do at home. I had glandular fever many years ago and only attended school part time all term and last year my neighbours DD had a virus in her final year at school and likewize they were able to sort out a timetable that worked for her. It took a good 2/3 months for her to recover but plenty of rest certainly helped.

From the dance point of view, resting for a number of weeks is unlikely to set her back. In fact dancing while unwell could make her techniue worse as well as prolonging her illness. Remind her that vocational students often have 2 months or more in the summer away from dance. Cannot help her stop 'missing dancing' though. My DD has been driving me up the wall because her dance school is inaccessible due to snow and ice. Expecting it to be open tonight at last.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

2 hours and a bus journey today & tomorrow she is in on the bus. We have to see how long she lasts; she knows she mustn't do too much