Osgood Schlatters

Moderator: busybusybusy

JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Re: Osgood Schlatters

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd has been on pointe for 4 years - she has had several pairs of pointe shoes (Bloch usually as they suited her foot best. Her feet are arched and her toes are nearly the same size). She has slightly sway back knees. She was advised to go to London to be fitted by her dance school and was fitted with Gaynor Mindens - she tried on many pairs but these fitted best). She wears ouch pouches - she tried lambs wool when she first went on pointe but found ouch pouches more comfortable. She has had her current pair for nearly a year and she does pointe work in nearly all her ballet classes.
Will look out for the casings as they sound good :)
dannieboo-007
BRIT Award

Post by dannieboo-007 »

My DD was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatters just before xmas; her physio gave her several exercises to do to strengthen the quads & stretch hamstrings & calves - she also showed me how to strap her knee with. kinesiology tape. This definitely helps - when she dances with it strapped she is pain free 99% of the time.She dances for around 12 hrs a week including 2 pointe classes so fingers crossed this seems to be working for us !
Be happy.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd uses support pads (don't know the correct names but they are specifically for supporting Osgood Schlatters) for her dance classes but her physio's not keen on them in case they mask the pain. Dd still has a lot of pain in her knees but not as much as before. She is continuing with her few classes, has been given exercises to do and I have to give regular massages to her quads. She has another physio appointment on Thursday (her physio thinks it'll take at least 6 months before we see any improvement).
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I don't know if this is a factor in OS but I think I had a rapid growth spurt and went from being small to average/tall (5'6) within a couple of years. My dancing DD has grown much more gradually but is tall now. She doesn't seem to have had any aches and pains. My brother also quickly went from small to tall so I wondered if how quickly you grow might contribute to OS if you are very active.