How important is contemporary?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

How important is contemporary?

Post by Katymac »

DD has the basics, but it is not turning out to be a great love

If she is doing Ballet, Tap, Jazz plus some other bits is Contemporary that important or could she consider giving up?
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Re: How important is contemporary?

Post by Kitschqueen »

I guess it depends on where she wants to study.

If she is following a classical ballet route then contemporary would be better than say her tap as the two styles compliment each other. For a contemporary dance course then it would be essential.

For musical theatre, which I think from your previous posts is her most likely route, then probably her jazz and tap would be most useful.

She's on a contemporary CAT course though isn't she?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

My DD did not do contemporary, apart from occasional bits at summer schools/workshops so I cannot say that it was that important for her. She had contemporary as part of some of her auditions though (including where she was offered a place) so it may well depend on where she is planning to audition and how confident she feels about it.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

TBH it's her CAT that she is thinking of giving up; there are lots of issues with it and after a wonderful week at Urdang she feels she has lost her way with the CAT.

There are the age differences (last week I think being the youngest showed her how hard being the oldest is), the lack of appropriate Ballet (working at a very low level to allow for the children who have no Ballet) and the fact that 45 minutes at her other classes has her sweating and tired whereas 3x1.5 hrs leaves her with nothing (which could be her fault I feel).

She is very disheartened and dejected atm; she wants to 'up her game' and is repeatedly told to 'fit in' & conform :(

I think she can do Modern with her current teacher but that's quite different I guess

I've asked her to see the year out & then decide; but she says if she isn't good enough to dance with her contemporaries, she shouldn't be there.

I don't know if we have to give notice or 'do' anything formal - I guess I have to ask
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

When dd started modern I noticed big leaps (pardon the pun) in her technique.

I know she's younger but she dies very little contemporary. You have to be Grade 5 to start it at her dance school so she does the odd bit at summer school & stagecoach.
Kitschqueen
GRAMMY Award

Post by Kitschqueen »

Sorry to hear things are still not okay at her CAT scheme Katymac.
Whilst at Urdang did she ask or did they indicate what dance styles they would be expecting at audition?
Are you going to Move It? Lots of opportunities to ask all the different colleges what they think would be most useful :)
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised; the fact that they don't consider her good enough after 4.5 terms (despite moving many other youngsters up) would dishearten most people I guess

At Urdang they seemed to concentrate on Jazz & Ballet (with singing & acting); we are awaiting feedback - which could very well tell us we are in cloud-cuckoo land & DD may well be crap. But if that happens at least we know - I think DD feels the CAT has been stringing her along
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

So sorry to hear of your disappointment with CAT.
DD started in September and is loving every second of her classes at The Lowry and has progressed like I wouldnt have believed :shock: :shock:
She has embraced the new contemp classes and whilst finding them challenging she enjoys the freedom and creativity that the style gives.
Ballet she finds a bit more tricky, only having done 12 months ballet before joining CAT but the staff and her peers are really bringing her on in her classes and she does an extra open class in which she is the least experienced but enjoys that the most as she is challenged even more by the 3 hours she is there playing 'catch up'

I cant criticise any aspect of the pastoral or academic care she has received and the communication between tutors / pupils / parents is second to none, prompt and informative, organised and precise - just what parents need when sorting out travel times and classes, homework and other family life.

Its so hard as once you get disillusioned and disheartened its tricky to find a way back.
Hope you find a solution that suits everyone
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

That's what we hoped ours would be DanceDiva
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Katymac ... it may be time for your daughter to give up the CAT. I really don't think it is does any good to keep our children in a situation that is permanently undermining their confidence. There are lots of other things she can get involved with for experience and she already does other dance classes. Many years ago I took the difficult decision to remove my DD from the local youth drama group as I really felt they were constantly knocking her down rather than building her up ... I can honestly say that she has never looked back and is the only 'graduate' of that group ever to get onto a full time course at drama school. Strangely having completely ignored her for years, I am now constantly being stopped in the street and asked how she is doing ... they will be asking her to present the annual awards next :shock: Why don't you sit down with your DD and write a list of the good things and bad things about the CAT and see what you come up with ... that might help with a decision.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Oh Katymac. I'm sorry to hear your dd isn't enjoying her CAT and It must be horrible for you to know that she is going into an environment that makes her feel so bad. Your dd has shown great commitment and dedication to CAT but I think Sapphire may be right. Good luck with whatever you decide. xxx
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I have to agree with those who are saying just say goodbye to it
It's making her miserable and life is just too darn short to be wasting time on things that are a chore to do.
This business is meant to be enjoyable and a fun way to spend time when you are young
Just cut your losses and move on, there are plenty of things available to fill the time
This has clearly been bothering you for a good while so don't let it encroach on your DD's precious time any longer, it doesn't sound like the direction she wants to go in anyway ?....
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I think so

Its been a hard decision tbh
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Katymac I agree with the other posters. Bow out of the CAT and let your DD have some fun with jazz, modern, more tap etc. If she enjoys MT then try an amateur group or some pop singing etc And even just use the time gained from leaving the CAT to relax and rest, take in some musicals or plays on stage or DVD together and your DD can re charge and move on. Yes a CAT is prestigious and will be the right place for some, your DD was good enough to be picked for one but it just isn't the right scheme for her now. She has given it a go for long enough to know if it suits her. Sometimes we all need to have a bit of a re think and shake up especially at the age your DD is (Yr 10 isn't it?). We are also having a review of what DD does and making some changes. It is good to have had experience of contemporary and it complements ballet well but for MT then ballet with tap and modern/jazz is probably a better combination anyway. As the DCs get older then you need to be realistic about their strengths and weaknesses. I think it is better to concentrate on showing excellence in a couple of genres than flap about being ok at lots because ok won't shine at a tough audition. Stick with the core ballet though, it is important.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks everyone - I am busy drafting a letter to give in tomorrow

I don't know what the notice is & DD is panicking she will be stuck there with people who are unhappy with her